Idiot Boy Needs Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ickyma, Jun 30, 2005.

1. Ickyma macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2005
    I recently decided to switch from Classic to OS X. Prior to doing this, I put all my important 'stuff' in a folder and burned it to disc. (This includes all files relating to my business as well as my outlook express and IE). After completing the upgrade to OS 10.1 I found that I had NO Outlook Express anymore... Furthermore, when I open Appleworks, then try to open a file from my Backup CD, it doesn't find anything! I know the information is on that disc 'cause I verified EVERYTHING prior to proceeding with the upgrade.

How in the world do I access that data? Specifically I would like to be able to open all files appropriate for AppleWorks - AND, if possible, Import/Export all my saved emails (and their respective folders) into my recently (newly) downloaded Outlook Express...

Any suggestions and/or help would be appreciated...

Sincerely, Icky
  2. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

Jan 27, 2005
    It's a long shot, but the files are there on the CD, right?
    Just copy them over to a folder on your HD and repair permissions, it's like the magic wand for X trouble. I hope ;).

Oh and next time you might want to be more specific in your thread title.
    Even if you are an idiot, you shouldn't feel bad about it and you definitely shouldn't put it in the title. Unless you are trying to 'Format C:' :D.
  3. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Tucson AZ
  4. Ickyma thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2005
    What kind of MAC?

I have an iMac (the Blue one) ;)

Very strange behaviour... After having a relatively smooth day (despite not being able to see any of my DATA), I shut down the system and went home... Today, I turn it on, and it is Back to OS 9 !!!!! What gives?!?!?

OS 9 is sooooo clean and easy and reliable and naive and wonderful... What was I thinking??? Why did I try and update?

I digress.... I will try the aformentioned 'fix' and hope it works, but would certainly welcome any input you may offer.

BTW, now my printer doesn't work at all! I tried reinstalling the driver, etc... No good. Doesn't even show up as an option in my CHOOSER....

Thanks for your help.
  5. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    MacOS X Mail will import your old mail from Outlook Express.
  6. Mac-Xpert macrumors 6502

Dec 18, 2003
    The Netherlands
    If your system is now back in OS-9, can't you simply copy the data from the disk to your hard-disk and then reboot into OS-X?
  7. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR

I wouldn't say 10.1 was really the best version of X yet...thought about trying Tiger...or Panther?
  8. Ickyma thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 30, 2005
    Tried to copy back to HD

I tried to copy to HD... it won't let me....

See new entry by ICKY for details!