IDisk copying video files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Derrickpep, Jul 31, 2006.

1. Derrickpep macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2006
    I have been trying to copy files to my iDisk for inclusion in my homepage. I have a HD camcoder and produced movies in Quicktime with .mpg, .mov and .dv file extensions but these will not copy to my iDisk. A drop-down window reports that the files have been copied but the program just 'hangs' and I have to re-boot. Examination of the directory I tried to copy to shows the name of the file but being only 1Kb.

Can anyone assist me please?

Derrick Pepperell
  2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Jul 28, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    How big are the files that you are trying to copy to your iDisk? Also, when you copy to an iDisk, the synchronization of the files can take a while especially with big files, so it's possible that it's not hung, just in the middle of the sync.
  3. Derrickpep thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2006
    Thanks for respnse - the file size is 260 Mb. I have waited for 15 minutes to see if the file closes. Should I wait a little longer?
  4. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes, Finder is not 'hanged up' it copies the file and when it comes to the closing dialogue it is actually uploading the file to iDisk (i.e the server) As such the speed it takes to upload is dependent on your upload internet connection. This will take long if its slow, mine for example is about 12-16KB which takes over an hour to upload a ~80mb file :)

To check your speed use 'Activity Monitor' application found in your 'Utility's' folder. Launch the application and there will be a 'Network' pane with statistics on your upload speed, which is 'Data sent / sec'.

... and yes Finder is stupid for uploading your file and alerting the user that it is closing the file :rolleyes:

Hoped this helped :)
  5. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    also .Mac was/is having issues with file transfers at the moment i found

i had to do some of my vids about 6 times before they went up
  6. Derrickpep thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 31, 2006

Thanks - great help. After about an hour the file finally loaded. However the Quicktime movie (.mov) I uploaded to my homepage in .Mac from my iDisk although it plays in Quicktime just displays the Quicktime logo. Do you think that the movie option does not support .mov files? Your advice would be greatly appreciated this problem is driving me mad!