iDisk vs Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fjs08, Feb 6, 2006.

1. fjs08 macrumors 65816

Over the weekend and extending into today, when I try to save files to my Documents folder in iDisk, it seems to crash Finder. It takes about 4 tries too, to relaunch Finder. Is this a problem with Finder or iDisk?? Any thoughts??
    I've been having problems with Finder crashing lately. I've done the Repair Permissions thing. I do it on the 1st of every month. I have downloaded and installed the Firefox update, but I haven't had Firefox open when this has been happening.

Frank

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What happens when you save files to your Desktop and then transfer them manually to the iDisk?

3. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>What happens when you save files to your Desktop and then transfer them manually to the iDisk?<<

This morning, everything is working fine. I did put a few files on the desktop from the folder I keep them in and it all worked fine too?? Strange.

I like the concept of iDisk and saving to the server, but it's a bit slow. Actually, very slow, but I don't have to carry any type of SD disks with me when I travel. But I have to wonder about reliability??

Frank

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think (and am hoping) that it was just a server-side issue with .Mac and iDisk. Pipe up if it starts happening again though. :)

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Your iDisk is as reliable as your Internet connection.

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

And regardless of what might be wrong with iDisk, in no circumstance should it make your Finder crash! Well-written software recovers gracefully from errors, informs the user of the problem, and gives him options of what to do about it.

7. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>Your iDisk is as reliable as your Internet connection.<<

RoFL. heaven help me then. Our internet is horrible.
    __
    >>And regardless of what might be wrong with iDisk, in no circumstance should it make your Finder crash! Well-written software recovers gracefully from errors, informs the user of the problem, and gives him options of what to do about it.<<

When I tried to drag files from a folder to iDisk, the drag would stick over the iDisk folder, I'd get the spinning beach ball, and when I hit option-open apple-esc, I'd see the Finder was "not responding." I'd have to click relaunch a few times to get it back.??

Frank

8. 512ke macrumors 6502a

512ke

I've experienced similar problems.

My Finder can handle almost anything I throw at it... except network connections including iDisk.

If you disconnect from iDisk, save programs from the internet to iDisk or connect simlutaneously to iDisk and a server...beach ball time. And maybe crashing...

R

9. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, I dunno what to tell you guys, the Finder still has major problems with network connections for me. Has trouble finding other Macs on my local network all the time (can't browse for them, must enter in IP address), even ones that I've recently used and have administrative password access for. iDisk is better than it used to be in that it does not completely hang like it used to, but it's still dog slow. FTP from Finder is unreliable at best. And god forbid a network connection goes away while my Mac is asleep, it wakes up with a hell of a hangover. I don't know why I keep resubscribing to .Mac, even the email is really, really slow compared to my Earthlink email (also used in Mail) that comes in lightning-fast.

10. fjs08 thread starter macrumors 65816

>>even the email is really, really slow compared to my Earthlink email (also used in Mail) that comes in lightning-fast.<<

Mail for OSX is a bit quirky. I never send my wife, who has a hotmail address mail from Mail. I have to send it from Entourage. It only gets to her half the time. I've never figured out why???? I love to use various fonts, and about 1 out of 50 e-mails, which is about at least once per day, when I bring up the font box, Mail freezes. I can't choose a font, and I can't complete the e-mail I started. I have to shut down Mail. When I restart it, something resets. I come back to the exact spot I left off from and the font box works--for awhile. Strange. I've toyed with the idea of using a totally web based mail service like google's gMail. Seems like they are always working on it to make it better. I like yahoo, but in Safari, when I go to My Yahoo, the page hangs for almost 30 seconds before it clicks in. If I use Firefox, My Yahoo yields some script message.

Sounds like a lot of complaints, but all in all, I love Mac OSX. I use Mail all of the time for my e-mails. Entourage is very slow. Lots of beach ball time there. I can't be without Entourage's calendar and address feature though.

Frank