iDisk

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by edesignuk, Apr 7, 2002.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hi,

When ever I try to copy something to my iDisk I get a -38 error :mad: .
    Has anyone had the same problem or know what it is? How to fix it?

Many thanks,

2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

Ensign Paris

a) Is it full up (I know this is a stupid question, I presume by your setup you are a power user)

b) Are you on a cable/ADSL modem? Or Behind a firewall?

c) How long has this been happening?

d) What folder are you trying to copy to?

Ensign

3. j763 macrumors 6502a

Try using AppleShare to access your iDisk. Go to the Connect To Server Dialogue Box in the Finder and type in "afp://idisk.mac.com" and type in your iTools username & pass when prompted. Accessing your iDisk via this method will improve security, speed and reliability (and hopefully your problem will go away :) ). Otherwise, have a look at versiontracker for some third-party s/w.

4. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Hi,

My iDisk is empty, and I have the problem with all folders...it's very odd :confused: .
    I am cable 512k via a Linksys Router \ Switch.
    It's been happening for as long as I can remember, just never bothered me up until now, but i would like to use the web hosting part of the iDisk.

Many thanks,

5. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

WOW! This method seems to work :D Thanks j763!
    http://homepage.mac.com/edesignuk

Cheer'Zz

6. oldMac macrumors 6502a

Work firewall or proxy server?

If you're at work and behind a firewall or proxy server then this could explain why it doesn't work without using AFP.

7. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm not behind a firewall as such, all though as I said I am behind a Linksys router. Maybe this was the problem? Anyone else had any problems like this when using a router?

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I have a linksys router and I've never had that problem. It maybe something to do with your provider. Are you using cable or DSL? I'm on a cable modem.

9. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I'm on Cable :D (look above. lol!)

10. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Has anyone tried redirecting their iDisk acct to their own website?

I have looked for a default.html file.. but cannot find it.. and there are no setting panels I have seen to do this... email has been redirected; but the url???

If i just throw a default.htm with a basic javascript redirect into the top level will this work???

I just set this baby up today if you can't tell :D

thanks for any help in advance;

C-

11. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

D0ct0r-
    There should be an index.html file in there...if there's not, create one and it will become the default webpage.

Put the following javascript into your HEAD tag:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="time;url=url">

Where time = value in seconds for the page to wait to refresh (probably 0 in your case)...
    And url is your full url to your other page.

12. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

13. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: thanks

de nada...

14. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

Re: iDisk

I was getting this error when moving files to my iDisk and when burning disks. Try reducing the file name down to something less than 38 characters. This seemed to work for me.

15. MacLuver23 macrumors member

YEAH!

I use mac OS X, when I get my iDisk and open the window it shows nothing! SO this is how I fixed it, THATS RIGHT I FIXED IT. I had the windows settings to show icons so when the iDisk windows pops up blank, click the "LIST" button in the window and the icons will be in a list. You should be able to see your folders and files. Now I have found that I have had difficulty making new folders and transfering files into the iDisk itself and not in a folder. I have no idea why this happens... DO YOU!? Well I hope this helps everyone. Bye!:)

16. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I had that error when I tried moving pictures into the pictures folder...in my unorthodox way, I deleted all the pictures in the folder, put the ones I wanted from my HD to the Documents folder, and from there I moved them into the Pictures folder...unorthodox, but it worked...

17. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Re: YEAH!

Do you have slow internet? Before I got cable, my iDisk could take minutes to load the files/folders a windows...

18. Geert macrumors 6502a

Geert

J763, this is one of the neatest tricks in the book.
    This way of logging in to your iDisk is way, way faster, then just choosing connect to idisk.
    Do you have any good explanation why Apple uses the webDAV protocol which seems to be slower than the AFP protocol to connect to the iDisk?

19. MacLuver23 macrumors member

Re: Re: YEAH!

I have a cable internet connection, but i have an iBook 466mhz DVD Key Lime FW maybe that is it, also do u think u can help me?
    HELP!!!!
    PLEASE
    YOUR
    SMART!!!!
    PLEASE
    HELP
    ME!!!!!
    When I try to replay someone in the forms it says that my account might have been disabled or that I am awaiting activation this happens a lot but this time it won't go away, all I can do is quote people, I can't reply, but i tryed loging out and in nothing happens! Can you help!? Please ask around since i am amazed I can write to you now, please have everyone reply to me through email and not this fourm iBook238@mac.com