Idle question: group memberships

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Blue Velvet, Dec 4, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What are they and what's their purpose?

They're listed on everybody's profiles but no-one seems to be a member of any public groups. Are there non-public groups? Is this a forum feature that's been disabled? Just curious.

2. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Excellent question, BV. I had noticed that but did not post seeking an answer. On a far more fundamental level, I no longer see how I can begin a new thread.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

4. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Really?

Is the 'New Thread' button not there or are all forums locked from creating new threads by you?

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Thank you for responding, Blue ... I can always count on you. There is no "New Thread Button" on any forum page, yet down at the bottom under "Posting Rules" it states I may begin new threads, post replies plus attachments and edit my own posts. Go figure. I will just have to be content replying to preexisting threads.

6. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

It may have something to do with your browser... someone much smarter than me will probably stroll along and offer up some more specific suggestions.

Mitthrawnuruodo: Thanks for that... :)

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try emptying cache and reload page... that might help to shake the browser to find the New Thread button again...

8. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Blue, there is something else that is now unavailable and then a thought just occcurred to me. Changing font size, color and other personal editing attributes cannot be selected.

I remember when the forums updated to the vBulletin Version 3.5, I immediately lost the ability to edit a post after sending. That feature has since returned, only to be replaced by these other problems. I may be out of luck and will accept all such restrictions because they seem to be directly related to my use of OS 9.1 and IE 5.1.

9. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Aaah... try using Mozilla 1.2.1 (I think that was the last with support for OS 9). That should give you better support for, well, most things online, like html and css... ;)

Edit: There's an official Mozilla 1.2.1, or a couple of unofficial versions of 1.3.1, for OS 9. Link.

10. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

The Mozilla download will take me approximately one hour, so that will be pursued when more time permits. I thank you for the browser link along with the answer to Blue's group membership question.

11. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If bandwith is an issue, you could try the beta of iCab 3, an OS 9 native browser still in development. That's just a 1.9 MB download... :)