Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tgibeau

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Root Access to iPad

Hey All,

I was putting in some work into the command lines because I am familier to Dos Box. I found I could mount the root directory of my iPad :D.

I am working on uploading screenshots now, but in the mean time I will give you the commands.

Under the C:\ type "z:"
Than
Under Z:\ type "mount d: /"

It will give you an error stating to mount to sub directory next time, but it will still work.

Then type "d:"
And use the DIR command to display the directory!

Enjoy!

I'll have pics up soon as I get off my iPad :p

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I was too slow :eek:

Someone should try running Super Speed! :)

Attachments

• superspeed.gif
    superspeed.gif
    15.1 KB · Views: 1,660

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Pity this means there is little hope of any updates.

Anyone know if it supports a Bluetooth keyboard for input? Because that would be awesome.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Pity this means there is little hope of any updates.

Anyone know if it supports a Bluetooth keyboard for input? Because that would be awesome.

Since iOS supports it they should work, I would assume. Unless the App needs to be specially setup to work with it. I don't have one with me at the moment, but I'll try when I get home - I'll also try a USB keyboard via the Dock Connector adapter.

Update: USB keyboard via Dock Connector did not seem to work. It continued to work in the iPad Notes app, but not in iDOS. :(

The ability to access the root directory of the iPad is probably a big reason why Apple pulled it. It would be interesting to see if you can access or edit files from iDOS to allow custom/unsupported programs to be loaded onto the iPad via some editing or hacking.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Hey All,

I was putting in some work into the command lines because I am familier to Dos Box. I found I could mount the root directory of my iPad :D.

I am working on uploading screenshots now, but in the mean time I will give you the commands.

Under the C:\ type "z:"
Than
Under Z:\ type "mount d: /"

It will give you an error stating to mount to sub directory next time, but it will still work.

Then type "d:"
And use the DIR command to display the directory!

Enjoy!

I'll have pics up soon as I get off my iPad :p

Heh. "Oops!"

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
Aghhh!!! I almost donwloaded but thought, "Nah, maybe later.." I then changed my mind only to find it gone. This particular pull is so uncool.

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
I'd love to get a glimpse inside Apple's App Store approval process. I think there are monkey's running it and judging from all the garbage and fake apps in there, they are incompetent monkeys.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Here's a screenshot of iDOS showing the root directory of the iPad. Not sure of what can be done at this point, but you can surely dive into the directories. :eek: Of course be careful! Don't delete or modify files, it could mess up the iPad if you're not careful.

Edit: Mouse works in 3.11 after reboot of App. Windows 3.11 is able to see iPad root.

Attachments

• idos-root.PNG
    idos-root.PNG
    680 KB · Views: 435

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I thought it would get taken down. Bought it as soon as I saw the article because I know how fast you have to act with stuff like this! Netshare's still going strong years after it was pulled too.

ctdonath

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
I don't understand the process in place that allows an app to receive approval, and then literally an hour or two later the approval gets rescinded.

They really don't take much time to review apps, and those assigned to review an app may not know enough to make a complete and correct judgement. It's reviewed, looks OK at a cursory glance, and approved for distribution. Higher-ups get wind of something unusual being approved, and take a look - and catch a problem.

These days, such cycle time can indeed be minutes. Less than two hours from release to pulling, I imagine because the included DigDug and Ms. PacMan are NOT legally "abandonware", something a rank reviewer may not have noticed but a higher power would. Within 3 hours someone had used it for a major system security circumvention (mounting the iPad root directory). Just three hours for discovery of two major reasons to pull it (copyright violation and security breach). Thanks to those, such approvals will likely be slow in coming next time.

elephantinc

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
You can use the mouse if you have one finger on the screen and move with another finger! :)

This gets better the more I look at it. You can click too but I forget how (it was easy to figure out)

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
I may have been too late for this on the iPad, but it's still fun trying it out on the Mac - mostly for some retro gameplay:)

Attachments

• dosbox.png
    dosbox.png
    428.8 KB · Views: 112
  • pp.png
    pp.png
    39.1 KB · Views: 100

tgibeau

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
I also wanted to share some screenshots looking at the root in Windows :p

Attachments

• photo 3.PNG
    photo 3.PNG
    670.9 KB · Views: 169
  • photo 2.PNG
    photo 2.PNG
    676.1 KB · Views: 179

axual

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2007
We're doomed ...

I can imagine Steve Jobs hearing about this ... and splitting a pancreas. Not good.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
I think being able to access your iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch internal drive, other words the root of the drive might be the reason ;)
Oh, that does make sense. Thanks for answering my question, that completely flew over my head until it was pointed out to me. D:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.