IDTech announces 20" OLED display prototype

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by szark, Mar 18, 2003.

1. szark macrumors 68030

May 14, 2002

Attached Files:

2. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    Cool, I had heard that there were several new display technologies developed, but during the tech slump no one wanted to gamble on marketing them.

Mabey we will see some of those technologies become availible soon.
  3. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    Cool new monitor tech, LCD's are so 1990's.

I can only hope that these new monitors will have better color qualities than lcd's do. IMO thats the only problem with lcd's. Well that and the price. I wonder how much these babys will be when they first come out?:eek:
  4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    That's friggin awesome. OLEDs are going to be the future of displays. They don't have any glass or a separate light layer, so you can roll them up :D

And because they have less parts, they'll be cheaper, but not right away.

Can't wait to see if they go to 40" or more.

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    Now, a screen of 40+ that unrolls like a projector screen... I like that idea:D

How about a PowerBook that stores its screen in the case... Didn't Gibson postulate that idea years ago (might have been Neal Stephenson)
  6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

Cheap? Should be.

These screens, as dukestreet pointed out, are very simple. No Backlight, back polarization filter, rigid LCD layer, front polarization filter, and protective layer.

Essentially it's just two layers, the back substrate that the pixels are printed upon, and a front layer to sandwich-protect.

Additionally, to create such a screen, what wil be the back layer is run through an unmodified inkjet printer with special ink. The CMYK of printed color is replaced with RGBC ("C" for conductivity circuitry). Takes about a minute to make a screen (8.5"x11"), then you just attach the ribbon cable and plug 'er in.

The main issue that these screens have had is the lifetime of the color components of the pixels - namely blue which, at last update, only lasted about 2,000 hours. This is why LCD's rule the roost for now.

But once they get up to the lifetime of LCD's expect that to be the tipping point. Then we'll get stuff we've never seen before - animated billboards, buildings that can change color, windows that can have a TV imbedded in them, and of course practical PDA-Celphones :D.