IDVD 05 question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by enclave, Jan 18, 2005.

1. enclave macrumors member

Does anyone know if the external burner hack will work with this new version of Idvd, I have a superdrive but I am thinking of buying an external dual layer burner (even though idvd wont support dual layer dvd's, but thats a whole other story... why do we need HD support in a consumer level app like Imovie?... stupid) Any ideas?

2. Bear macrumors G3

Okay, the HD support is the for the consumer HD vidcams. Apple is on the leading edge of this.

As for iDVD'05 and external burner support... since you can create a disk image first, you could always go through the step of making the disk image and then burn the image onto a DVD. Although if iDVD doesn't have dual layer support, your superdrive should be sufficient.

3. enclave thread starter macrumors member

Really that easily? Hmm.. well if that's the case then thats fantastic, thanks for the help.

Also HD cameras cost a fortune at the moment, I dont know why apple didn't release dual layer support instead of catering to a market that doesnt exist yet. I don't suppose there will be any support until the Powermac's have dual layer as standard.

4. Bear macrumors G3

It does sound like it'll be that easy. Can only wait and see.

As for HD, I suspect that adding it in was a trivial cost since they've already done the HD code for Final Cut Pro.

And as for dual layer support. I'll wait for that until the dual layer media is down to a reasonable price. Although it would be nice if the drives Apple put in had dual layer burning support and then somewhere down the line, the software would appear to take advantage of it. Like Apple is adding the DVD+R(W) support and some machines already have DVD+/-R(W) drives and have ha dthat for a while.