iDVD '06 Compatible DVD Burners?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by IJ Reilly, Feb 28, 2006.

1. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I'm considering replacing the combo drive mechanism in my EZ-Quest Firewire enclosure with a DVD burner mechanism. According to Apple, "most" third-party external DVD burners, as of iLife '06, are now compatible with iDVD -- but of course, they don't maintain any sort of list. A database of compatible drives is maintained at xlr8yourmac, but most of this information is from last year or earlier, when people were using compatibility hacks, with mixed results.

How do you know if any given DVD burner will work with OSX and iDVD?

2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Unorthodox

Cross your fingers and pray. Most DVD burners should work fine. Just get a plain no frill DVD burner.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Get a Pioneer drive. :cool:

I've got two Pioneer DVR110-D's and they burn anything.

4. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Hey, thanks for reviving this thread! I'd all but given up on it.

I was considering a "white box" Pioneer drive. Is anyone using this drive in a Firewire enclosure?

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Well I have a NEC 3500 in my LaCie but others have bought a NEC and whatever type of enclosure and they have worked. DVR-110D drives have worked very well also and I think LG but I'm not 100% sure.

7. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

According to OWC, the PatchBurn hack is required for the Pioneer drive to work with OSX and iDVD. I thought these issues were resolved with Tiger and iDVD '06. True or no?

Also, they say you need either Roxio Toast or DragonBurn to burn dual-layer DVDs. Is this still the case?

8. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I know with the LaCie I bought they have their own drivers so that you don't need to use Patchburn at all (one reason I went with the LaCie). Plus all the iApps worked with it.
    The software that came with it (Toast) allows me to burn DL but I thought that Tiger let you burn DL+R discs.
    Well I took this screen shot and as of now I don't have my LaCie installed and the settings for iDVD let me set it for DL as you can see.

Attached Files:

9. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I thought so too... but confirmation is difficult to find. Apple says iDVD is now compatible with third-party drives, but they don't specify which ones, and they also don't say much about burning DVDs in the Finder with a non-Apple OEM drive.

10. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I can say that my friend is running Tiger, uses a Plextor DVD burner and Toast lite on his G3 iBook and burns all iLife stuff fine. He is using iLife '05 and I'm still in shock that he can do this but it works great.
    Try this site and see if it helps http://forum.videohelp.com/viewforum.php?f=9&sid=0bb90c8cd410153dc02a3331eeb53782

11. IJ Reilly thread starter macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've poked around in these discussions but can't find anyone explaining the changes in iDVD '06, but it does seem to be the consensus that 10.4.4 obviates the need for Patchburn. Sounds like I don't really need Toast or DragonBurn for dual layer burning.

I notice also that somebody has posted a flasher to enable DVD-RAM for the Pioneer drives.