iDVD 3.0.1 strangling my Jaguar

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Toad, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Toad macrumors newbie

I have iDVD 3.0.1 regularly hanging my machine (or at least hogging 99.99% of the CPU so nothing else moves/works.)
    This is on a G4/450AGP, 256MB. No other devices except my keyboard and (a logitech) mouse are connected. I have the old stock ATI card that came with the G4 and an extra Formac Proformance card in there. Clean install of Jaguar & iLife with latest updates, i.e.

- OSX 10.2.8
    - QT 6.4
    - iDVD 3.0.1

I cant even do the iDVD tutorial - and this is far from burning or even encoding.
    Hangup occurs reliably but not predictably. Sometimes it happens when I press the Customize button to open the drawer, sometimes when i drag a movie into the theme, sometimes when I press the Animate button.

Ironically I just started using my mac again after years developing software on windows, just so I can make and burn movies. This is a practically impossible task on Windows (the software - and I have tried >7 packages - is really crap) I remember using the first iMovie and its simplicity and elegant design was genius. It still is.
    But for the iLife of me I cant seem to get any computer, any OS, any app to assemble (never mind encode or burn) a DVD for me...

Sigh.
    Any suggestions ? Thanks in advance !

PS: I did the usual Disk First Aid & Repair permissions...didnt help

2. Toad thread starter macrumors newbie

Ding !
    Anyone ?
    Pretty please...
    The guys at the "Genius Bar" down at my local apple store took $50, (had a drink I think) and claimed it was my Formac Proformance card that caused the problem (a 2nd video card I have). Ripping it out and rebooting didnt fix the problem, so that wasnt it...

Can anyone else see this problem after 2-3 minutes of noodling in iDVD on a G4 ?

Thanks for *any* hints

Toad