iDVD 4.0.1 CURSE!!! iDVD 5????? WHEN!!!!!?????

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by forthebrave, May 25, 2004.

1. forthebrave macrumors regular

ok!! where do I start???? I've had sooooooooooooooooooooo much problems with iDVD 4.0.1 that I have decided not to even touch it until APPLE comes up with an update, Anybody know when?? I had to make a DVD for my sisters wedding, but constantly getting the " Unexpectedly quit.. " pop-up and the " stuck on Stage 4: Multiplexing and burning... " dilemma, I couldn't finish it in time. I've done everything, deleted the iDVD preferences, held down control click+BURN technique, burned to .IMG, I EVEN threw away iDVD and re-installed it but NOTHING!!! Before, I successfully made 2 DVDs that survived the long 4 stages, but I couldn't fast forward my DVD, there was no music in my slideshow and in the middle of my slideshow it just stops and freezes!!!!! I'm wondering.... my slideshow has a lot of pictures in it that I slowed down and added music too, do you think all of that rendering is too much for iDVD to handle?? The DVDs that I made, the menus were fine, music was fine, the actually movie was fine, besides the fact that it didn't fast forward but towards the end of my DVD, the 2nd chapter ( SLIDESHOW) is where the problem starts. NO MUSIC and freezes at the same spot of my SLIDESHOW........ advice??? :eek:

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I've had some problems with iDVD 4. I've only tried to burn once so far and it failed - I had no problems with version 3. It might be to do with the quality preference - 60min or 2hour quality in iDVD preferences but I haven't retried yet so I don't know for sure. Otherwise try trashing the iDVD preference file in the library folder (com.apple.idvd..blah blah).

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

What computer do you have? It might be due to a lack of RAM. I don't know what else to say, but there are other DVD burning software available for mac. Have you tried using iDVD without the update?

Best wishes,
    JOD8FY

4. codycartoon macrumors regular

I am going through the same crap, It's really troubling, I really depend on iDVD and I thought it would be even better if I upgraded, but it takes forever to make a DVD and it seems really buggy.

How do I get iDVD 3 back, or perhaps an alternative DVD making application?

thanks

-cody

5. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

iDVD 3 should be included in your software install discs that came with your Mac. That said, it's not a very satisfactory solution as I like some of the new features in iDVD 4..

EDIT.. unless your Mac is older than iDVD 3. Then, I'm not too sure.

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Damn this! I'm trying to burn my completed project now and I'm having problems! My DVD contains mainly slideshows and the odd small movie clip. I have the prefs set to Better Quality which means there's no background encoding. (I previously had iDVD crashing all the time when I set it to Better Performance - maybe my slideshows totalled to more than 60 mins).

I let it encode and burn all last night. I kept waking up (probably due to the large fan noise) so checked its status - got through the stage 2 encoding after about 2 hours, then stage 3 encoding for about an hour, then stage 4 by 3am. This afternoon, after it had been burning for over 12 hours I gave up - it's still on stage 4 multiplexing and burning. I read on the unofficial FAQ that stage 4 should take less time than stages 2 and 3.

Why did they remove the progress meter for each stage? Now I have no idea how much progress iDVD is making. Burning takes a LOT LONGER than version 3.

Anyway, my Apple branded DVD was still blank after I quit. I've swapped it for a new blank DVD anyway and have deleted encoded assets and trashed the prefs several times. I've also repaired permissions.

Now I've started to burn the project again... hopefully it WILL work in the morning (its 10pm here) but I'm not holding my hopes up. I need reliability. (BTW, I've set energy saver to sleep never, processor on highest and never put hard drive to sleep).

Guess I'll post again if I have any luck. This is really frustrating...

7. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Well I've just forced quit iDVD - after burning for 18 hours. It's been stuck on stage 4 for about 15 of those. The DVD has been ejected and is still completely blank.

That's 4/4 burns failed now in iDVD 4/4.01.

I guess now I have to try to burn the tutorial project and see if that works. I really don't want to waste a DVD-R though. If it doesn't work then I'm just going to have to wait around for Apple to release iDVD 4.0.2 or iDVD 5. iDVD 3 was 100% reliable for me. iDVD 4 is a liability and is utterly useless to me.

:mad:

8. spav macrumors newbie

Not that this is any consolation, but I found this "hack" in a similar thread here. I've used this and it works great.

http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=67610

You should get two files from somewhere in that thread, you put them in your home directory and when you hold the ctrl key when you burn it will give you the option to save the disc as an img. Then you can burn that from Disk Utility.

I just made 28 copies of a project with this method and it worked great. I'd try that and see if that helps you.

9. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

10. tkx macrumors newbie

Hello

Have you tried to update to 10.3.4, ours problems disappeared when it was released. We could not burn past "Menu 2" (had alot af slideshows).

But hey - after the upgrade it did get past Menu 2 and burned the DVD.

Thomas :)

G5/1,8/512 mbram

11. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Yes, unfortunatley for me, 10.3.4 has been running since it was first launched and it has had no effect regarding burning form iDVD 4.... I think I'll give the disc image thing a try tonight though...

12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Did the hack and got the option to save as a disc image. Again, it hung on Stage 4. Force quit 15 hours later... I know that means it's the multiplexing, not the burning, that's the problem, also expalining why the DVD has always remained blank.

There must be a problem with my project but I don't know what. It's not a majorly complex project, but it is mainly slideshows.

The other problem could be lack of HD space but there should be an error message if this was the case (iDVD 4 apparently does give you some feedback about this should this error occur). I have 8.5 GB free without any encoded assets - this drops to 4.5 GB when it hangs - I think this is plenty enough.

I can't really afford to delete anything at the moment (most is DV footage that also needs burning at some point!). In a month I'll have access to my brother's iPod so I could transfer some stuff to that or ethernet up with my home PC with a largely unused HD.

Until then, I guess I just wait for an update :(

13. mimimichelle macrumors newbie

i feel ya!

johnnyjibbs, i feel your pain COMPLETELY! i'm responsible for making some tv commercials for a class, and am frustrated as heck because of this "multiplexing and burning" problem! i hate this!!:mad:

14. mimimichelle macrumors newbie

I Found The Solution!!!

it was 2:40 AM, and i was determined to find the solution to this problem. unfortunately, i had been trying for hours each day until this morning. and it paid off..

i found the solution on this site: http://karsten.schluter.googlepages.com/idvdburningguides

the key is to save the idvd project to an .img file to your desktop, and then, Eureka! there is an application called Disc Utility already on your mac. Open it, and select the .img file and click burn. simple as that! :)

15. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Why did you dig up a five year old thread? We’re on iDVD ’09 (Version 7) now.