iDVD, 4 hrs to author a disc

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Cybix, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

i just composed a dvd in iDVD and it took four hours from the moment i pressed burn, to when it actually burned and edjected the CD!

scenario, about 680MB in apple H264 encoded video files (about 16 apple aperture howto clips).. used the magic dvd option in iDVD to add the clips, do a menu, add menu music, then hit go.

I guess it took so long because it had to un-encode the H264 vid files (and audio) and then re-encode it for DVD authoring? either way, it took YONKS.. had to render the menu's, etc.

hardware, MBP 2.0, 2gig Ram. I was checking the activity monitor as it went... was using an average of 150% cpu... which isnt bad..

almost four hours though... damn.

I basically wanted the vid clips on a dvd, so i could watch the dvd on my TV and fiddle with aperture as I watched... :) 7 days left of my trial until I decide to buy it or not..

James

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

I suspect it was on the long side, because H-264 would have higher noise levels than DV. That will slow down the encoding.

A friend of mine authored about 45 minutes through iMovie to iDVD, from DV source. It took about 23min (I think that was w/o burn time). I believe the whole process from input to iMovie to the final DVD was about an hour. 17" 2.33MHz C2D

I have a 2.33GHz C2D 17", and I'm anxious to see how it does. Upgraded from 1.67GHz PBG4.

3. Cybix thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cybix

yeah ok, can only assume it's because it's had to process the H-264. hrmm. dont have a camera to try dv video... maybe one day :)