iDVD 6 Glitches on playback

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by englishbloke, Jul 27, 2006.

1. englishbloke macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2006
    Help! I use G5 towers at work and create DVDs in Studio Pro and iDVD all the time with no problem. I have just got myself an Intel 2Ghz iMac at home at iDVD seems to be having real problems....

It burns fine but when playing back on a domestic DVD player the sound and images glitch until about half way through it freezes. Seems to be the same place every time, gets a bit futher if I take a picture out.

The DVD I am trying to burn is just a slideshow with music.

I have tried different discs (some which I know work on the machines at work) and burned many attempts! If I try and play the disc on the iMac, it is much better and doesn't freeze but is still a little glitchy.

PLEASE don't tell me I have to take the Mac back, its a lot of hassle.

My only thought is maybe I don't have enough RAM in the machine? 512MB.
  2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Shouldn't matter how much RAM you have... just might take longer. I would suggest burning it to a disc image in iDVD so you don't waste anymore media. Once you've made a disc image, try to play it in the OS X DVD Player. If that works fine then burn it with disc utility.
  3. englishbloke thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2006
    Thanks, will give that a go...I am getting through the DVDs pretty quick!

Although like I say it runs much better on the MAC anyway. I have just downloaded the latest Quicktime, I know the auto update was causing loads of problems at work with Final Cut so maybe it will fix this too.

Will give your suggestion a try. Thanks!
  4. englishbloke thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2006
    Well that didn't work! Exactly the same problem. Glitchy music and image until it eventually freezes about half way through...

Anyone else have any ideas? I guess I will have to take the Mac back :(

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Try burning something else and see if that plays on your DVD player? And try the DVD in someone else's DVD player - it might be that which just can't cope?

I had a case where a DVD skipped slightly on a couple of iDVD transitions - I switched the Preferences from Best Performance to Best Quality which took a little longer to render and burn but stopped the problem
  6. englishbloke thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2006
    ARRRGGHH!! Nothing works!

I have tried converting the MP3s to AIFF files, setting iDVD to best quality, different media (including RITEK and IMATION) updating all the software including Quicktime. EVERYTHING!

I have tried it on multiple players as well and the problem persists...not as bad on some though.

I think I may need to take the Mac back now.
  7. englishbloke thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 27, 2006
    Has anyone else got any ideas before I have to take the Mac back? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.