iDVD 6 Glitches on playback

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by englishbloke, Jul 27, 2006.

1. englishbloke macrumors newbie

Help! I use G5 towers at work and create DVDs in Studio Pro and iDVD all the time with no problem. I have just got myself an Intel 2Ghz iMac at home at iDVD seems to be having real problems....

It burns fine but when playing back on a domestic DVD player the sound and images glitch until about half way through it freezes. Seems to be the same place every time, gets a bit futher if I take a picture out.

The DVD I am trying to burn is just a slideshow with music.

I have tried different discs (some which I know work on the machines at work) and burned many attempts! If I try and play the disc on the iMac, it is much better and doesn't freeze but is still a little glitchy.

PLEASE don't tell me I have to take the Mac back, its a lot of hassle.

My only thought is maybe I don't have enough RAM in the machine? 512MB.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Shouldn't matter how much RAM you have... just might take longer. I would suggest burning it to a disc image in iDVD so you don't waste anymore media. Once you've made a disc image, try to play it in the OS X DVD Player. If that works fine then burn it with disc utility.

3. englishbloke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, will give that a go...I am getting through the DVDs pretty quick!

Although like I say it runs much better on the MAC anyway. I have just downloaded the latest Quicktime, I know the auto update was causing loads of problems at work with Final Cut so maybe it will fix this too.

Will give your suggestion a try. Thanks!

4. englishbloke thread starter macrumors newbie

Well that didn't work! Exactly the same problem. Glitchy music and image until it eventually freezes about half way through...

Anyone else have any ideas? I guess I will have to take the Mac back :(

Gutted.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Try burning something else and see if that plays on your DVD player? And try the DVD in someone else's DVD player - it might be that which just can't cope?

I had a case where a DVD skipped slightly on a couple of iDVD transitions - I switched the Preferences from Best Performance to Best Quality which took a little longer to render and burn but stopped the problem

6. englishbloke thread starter macrumors newbie

ARRRGGHH!! Nothing works!

I have tried converting the MP3s to AIFF files, setting iDVD to best quality, different media (including RITEK and IMATION) updating all the software including Quicktime. EVERYTHING!

I have tried it on multiple players as well and the problem persists...not as bad on some though.

I think I may need to take the Mac back now.

7. englishbloke thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone else got any ideas before I have to take the Mac back? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.