iDVD and Burning to External Drives or Image Files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by live4ever, Mar 11, 2004.

1. live4ever macrumors 6502a

I don't know if this has been posted before but here goes.

http://forum.firmware-flash.com/viewtopic.php?t=23370

Download the file (called HPfurz.sit.hqx in xvi's post) unstuff it and put the 2 Adobe PICT resource files into your Home folder.

[​IMG]

In iDVD when you want to burn your project hold down the control (ctrl) key while pressing the Burn button and a dialog will pop up with all the possible drives to burn to.

[​IMG]

I just created a mountable image out of the tutorial (since I don't have an external drive) and was able to burn it in Toast.

2. markjones05 macrumors 6502a

markjones05

Im confused, what exactly does this enable you to do?

3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

Hi,

does anyone know how to install and use iDVD on a G3 ?

Thanks

4. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Normally iDVD will only let you burn DVD's to the DVD-burners that come with a purchased Mac. There are a few exceptions here and there but in general this is true.

Placing these files in your home directory will allow you to select a different burner than what Apple normally intends (the dvd-burner that came with your Mac if any). It will also allow you to create a disc image of the DVD so you don't even have to burn it.

5. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Don't want to disappoint you, but doesn't MPEG 2 encoding require AltiVec?

6. CmdrLaForge macrumors 68040

CmdrLaForge

No, I don't think so. I mean with Toast you can burn VCD or SVCDs.

And with iMovie and Quicktime you can create MPEG 2 as well. And I know that there is a way to change it somewhere, so that it works with a G3, but I can't remember where. Arggh. :(

Is someone knows - it would be great.

7. howard macrumors 68020

howard

any of you know how to burn on an external dvd drive with disc utitlity?

thanks

8. davesaul macrumors newbie

What external drive works with iDVD

After reading a lot of posting on various forums, I opted for the Pioneer DVR-107 and a generic firewire external box. I was quoted by my local Mac reseller US$800 to upgrade my Powerbook to the superdrive. To give them credit I could tell that they were painfully embarassed telling me the price. The DVR-107 + box may have all the elegance of a paving stone but it only cost US$190 and worked with iDVD3 using the Easter egg. I spent a week making coasters out of DVD-R's to find one that worked well and in the end got the best results from Pioneer DVD-R's that specified Video recording. They cost here in New Zealand around US$2.50 each.

I'm not sure if iDVD4 is better, but once you are up and running, there are a few things to watch. Namely... adding menus and drifting over 60 minutes. If you do this in iMovie you are warned as you swap to iDVD... not so in iDVD if it's a new sub-menu that takes you a few seconds over. I made a lot of violet and silver wall hangings for my daughter's bedroom before I realised why my DVDs were so hopeless. Lastly: the progress bar is about as useful as a chocolate fireguard. After killing the process a number of times thinking it had hung, I finally ran it with the activity monitor turned on to convince myself that iDVD was actually doing something.

All I then needed was patience and now have beautiful DVD's to send back home to my family.

Good luck.