iDVD and .mov Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tikibangout, Feb 13, 2006.

1. tikibangout macrumors regular

Jul 20, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hi, I'm using the newest iMac (PowerPC) 20". I have a movie project all set out. It has a menu with 4 .mov files. Its only 1GB worth of files, but iDVD is saying like 3GB. Also, when I go to burn the DVD, it takes FOREVER to encode the .mov files. I was wondering if there was a way to compress the 3GB to like 1GB somehow and still burn it with the menu and all.
  2. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    iDVD cares more about the time you want to encode than the size of the files. It's going to encode it to a video file that any DVD player can play so what you do to the filesize before that won't have much impact - aside from possibly making the quality worse. It shouldn't take forever - it takes several hours on my G4 though.

If you don't need to use it on a normal DVD player, then just burn your .movs as a data file.
  3. quigleybc macrumors 68030

Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Lately, I have been burning all my basic DVD video's with Toast 7.

I love it, encodes quickly, it allows me to set a menu, and title "buttons" it's great.

U can set it to include a chapter for every 3,5,10 minute intervals.

Really sweet if you're just doing basic DVD authoring.
  4. FadeToBlack macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2005
    Accoville, WV
  5. road dog macrumors regular

Mar 12, 2004
    Toast is definitely faster...

the reason why iDVD says 3 GB is because all the motion menus and drop zones and background audio of the menus take up alot of space on the disc...

plus, the each item in the drop zone needs to render video prior to encoding and burning... the whole thing adds 30 minutes or more to the time to create the DVD.

it's just not worth it IMO... people spend about 10 seconds looking at the menu... so why waste time and disc space with worthless stuff.

I like Toast's approach much more... doesn't waste disc space on motion menu stuff... gives me a simple menu and does it quickly.