iDVD, big problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by theposse, Jul 8, 2004.

1. theposse macrumors regular

I have been playing around on imovie and idvd over the last week and i'm new to it so my 1st attempt at burning my own movie to dvd wasn't too bad but lacked personalit.Therefore i decided to go all out and make a masterpiece,so in imovie i put titles in and music and all the transition affects that i liked and in the end had some 4.2 gbs of movie whick looked amazing when played back in iDVD.
    BUT when i burned it ,it all went terribly wrong,firstly it took 16 hrs to do whatever it does(multiplexing and encoding and then burning).
    I don't know what happpend but it only copied half the DVD and then a window saying (error buffer underrun illegal something or other).Also the video stops but the audio carries on ??????
    Can anyone please tell me what went wrong as my other DVDs came out fine without all the effects and titles.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Scottie :mad:

2. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

3. theposse thread starter macrumors regular

I may have found the problem i seem to have created an imovie project that is 12.77gbs but its only 52 mins long but i do have alot of transition effects about 40 in all.So why didn't iDVD tell me taht it wouldn't fit on the disc?????

4. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

It will fit, iMovie edits in DV-stream, which runs at around a gig every four minutes, but iDVD converts this to MPEG2 for the DVD which compresses the data down to the level where 120 mins will fit into 4.2 gigs (single sided DVD's=4.7 gig raw storage, 4.2 gig in reality)

What machine are you running on? iDVD does take some time with larger projects. Make sure you're running the latest iDVD version with 10.3.4, I have no problems burning 2 hour videos with iDVD although DVD studio pro is a much better option.

5. MegaSignal macrumors 6502

Try this...

Under Preferences in iDVD, ensure that "Best Quality" is selected under the heading of "Encoder Settings". For some reason, I had trouble with background encoding enabled.

In addition, check with Software Update to make sure that you're version of iDVD is fully updated.

Let us know how it goes...

6. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Sometimes iDVD is picky about your assets. I just had a problem with a movie I made. It was actually a bunch of different movies but they were all imported together and I kept them all together in 1 movie with chapters. Make sense? I had a half dozen failed burns with that. I actually ruined 3 DVD-Rs (the first time I've ruined media on a Mac). Today I took each chapter and exported them as dv, then recreated my iDVd project. It burned great this time.

You don't always have to go to such extreme measures though--usually you can either trash your iDVd prefs or trash your project and recreate it.

Be sure to check out the link that was posted. That's good stuff on that page.

7. bmoede macrumors newbie

iDVD burning time

I am also having problems burning a a DVD that is close to 1 hour long (56 minutes). After about 1/2 hour of the process, the iDVD application unexpectailly quits. 30 minute, 45 minute videos are ok.

I am running a dual 2ghz G5, 250gb hard drive. The movies are quicktime movies exported out of Final Cut Pro HD.

Any ideas?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I'd try trashing your iDVD preferences, recreating your project, and converting your movies to DV then trying again.

Disclaimer: I don't use iDVD. I'm just repeating earlier suggestions since they might be applicable to your situation.

9. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

I'd also try deleting your encoded assets (in the Advanced menu). Sometimes that helps.

Unfortunately, though, iDVD 4 seems to be particularly bad on G5 Power Macs. We were trying to create a fairly simple DVD (about 40 minutes) at work using our dual 2.0 GHz G5, but it ended in major frustration. Trying to burn never actually worked - it would run all day and overnight with no apparent progress. Other times it would just quit. We never got it to burn on that machine. A few days later I archived the project, put it on my 1.25 GHz PowerBook, and it burned in about 45 minutes the first time. Tried again on my 733 MHz Power Mac at home, success. So iDVD hates G5s for some reason.

The page linked by jemeinc has a section specific to G5 problems. We haven't tried iDVD recently on that machine, so I don't know if any of the recent OS updates have fixed it.