Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AdamZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2004
Hey there folks. Quick question here. I am down to my last DVD and I need to burn a movie using iDVD. This is for a teacher, and while I'm confident the iDVD projects will work on any standard DVD player, as well as Mac OSX, I'm not sure about Windows. My question is, has anyone tried to use a iDVD burned disk on a Windows box. I imagine him sitting down to look at my work and not being able to run it on the PC on his desk. Not good. I could run somewhere to use Toast 6, but the simple iDVD burn would be better for this today. I burned a data DVD earlier to give to him with a high quality Quicktime movie, but of course the DVD doesn't read on Windows. Why is this? I have no trouble burning on Windows at work and bringing it home, but CD's and data burned DVD's from my Mac just don't work on Windows. I typically half to go to a friends house and use Toast if I want to burn a PC/Mac CD. Why is this?

Thanks in advanced guys!!!!

stoid

macrumors 601
If you just burn from the Finder, it may not do Windows compatible burns. I'm not at my Mac right now, but maybe there is a setting somewhere to burn a more standards compliant disc. It could be that it normally burns disks in HFS+ formatting. I have always had problems getting Windows machines to read HFS+ drives.

edit: Oh, but to answer your question. I have burned Video DVDs in iDVD and they work fine on Windows PCs.

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
Macs use a different file scheme on DVDs and CDs. With Toast you can choose which type to burn.

That being said, a video DVD is a video DVD. It doesn't matter if it is burned on a Windows machine, a Mac, or a stand-alone DVD recorder.

All video DVDs use a UDF/IFO file format.

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
I've burned DVDs before in iDVD and they work in windows media player on a bad compaq box at school. It's all good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.