iDVD COMPATIBILITY

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by OCOTILLO, Apr 20, 2005.

1. OCOTILLO macrumors regular

I read somewhere that iDVD is not compatible with external DVD burners. Is there any truth to this statement?

2. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Well yes, and no. As it is, any version of iDVD prior to the iLife 05 version only recognises genuine Apple Superdrives out of the box. There is a patch called PatchBurn that allows you to use most DVD drives with iDVD.
    iDVD 05 has the ability to save a project as a disk image that can be burned using disk utility. So if you have iLife 05 you should be set.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

4. OCOTILLO thread starter macrumors regular

I have iDVD 05 on my Mac mini. I have been considering buying a Phoenix int. burner from the outfit that upgrades Macs but frankly I am too chicken to crack the case. That is why I am thinking about the external drive.

5. Norouzi macrumors 6502

If you buy and external, you should be able to just save you iDVD projects to an image and burn them from there. I'd recomend a Lacie external DVD drive as Lacie has excelent compatability with the Mac.

6. hoggdogg macrumors newbie

RE: iDVD Compatibility

I agree. If you are going to buy an external, LaCie is a good choice.

Although I don't have any experience using external DVD burners, I have seen posts with folks who haven't had any problems hooking up and having the system recognise the DVD burner, and then some are constantly having to burn the DVD image, then us a third party package like Toast/Popcorn to burn to their external drives...

Ryan

7. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

yeah can someone help me out? I just got a brand new LaCie D2 burner 16x and my idvd wont recognize it because it says its not a superdrive even after i've installed it. Can someone help me out ASAP please? I have a deadline to get a dvd done and I purchased a LaCie drive top of the line because I thought it wouldnt have any problems. Thanks.

8. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

as stated you will either need to use PatchBurn or Toast to burn. iLife '05 (ie... iDVD from iLife 05) can save as an iso image. From there you can burn using Toast. Or you can use PatchBurn and iDVD should recognize the drive then and allow you to burn.

9. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

thanks so much...you were right about both of those!...I downloaded patchburn and it works and I also just turned it into a disk image and it works...thanks alot yall!