iDVD: Double-layer disc image compatibility

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mintlivedotcom, Mar 24, 2007.

1. mintlivedotcom macrumors regular

I have a large project that I want to make a dmg file of, but I get this message prior to creating the image:

"If you use a disc burning utility to burn a double-layer disc image, the DVD may not play well in some DVD players. For best results, use iDVD to burn double-layer projects directly to a DVD."

However, I don't know how to burn a dual-layer DVD in iDVD from a dmg file. Having searched around, I don't think it can be done. I have other dmg files and cannot import or open them into iDVD (unsupported format).

So, how can I save my large dual-layer project to my external drive and be able to make a DVD copy in the future?

2. akadmon macrumors 68010

Not sure if that's what you want to do, but you can use Save as Disk Image under the File menu, and then burn a DVD using Disk Utility (in DI, open the image you created in iDVD and choose Burn from the Images menu).

3. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

If I burn it from a dmg file in Disk Utility, it may freeze in some DVD players. That's what the error message was referring to. It recommends using iDVD to burn dual-layer discs. However, iDVD won't import or burn from dmg files.

4. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

I just don't know what the best way is to save my iDVD project (dual-layer) so I can burn extra copies if I need to. If I archive it, it will be almost 50GB! If I save it as a disc image (dmg), it won't be able to burn to a DVD without having free problems in DVD players.

5. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

Do I have to use Roxio Toast for this? And if so, which is the oldest version that would do it?

6. mintlivedotcom thread starter macrumors regular

Should this thread be moved to the Digital Video forum?

7. Arnaud macrumors 6502

I guess (or hope) that you have solved your problems by now...

However, one comment: I'm not so sure whether you should freak out about the warning message from Apple. It might just be some half-legal stuff, to be sure that someone using a good mac but a faulty dvd-burning software built-up by a 9-year old kiddo, would not affect Apple's reputation in digital video.

All DVD-players are different, and I suppose that, even following the best advices, you might end up with a loosy player somewhere not accepting your dvd.

Additionally, Toast could be a better tool than iMovie/iDVD. It has more options. In my case (with Toast 7.x), it even encodes the video from an iMovie project better than iMovie/iDVD! (But the menus are less fun).