iDVD, DVD Studio support for external DVD-R

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by phantommaul, Oct 1, 2003.

1. macrumors member

i am planning to buy a PB 15" with 1.25 and combo drive, is it possible to connect an external DVD burner and use it with iDVD, DVD studio pro or not ??

2. macrumors member

answering my own question

from apple support site
    it is a shame apple acts so selfish about the use of superdrive. i managed to get a combo powerbook and upgrade it with an external DVD-RW :(

3. macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

You can use it w/ DVD Studio Pro though.

4. macrumors 603

Re: answering my own question

At least according to Apple, the reason iDVD won't work with an external drive is that they "bundle" the MPEG2 codec licence with the superdrive/computer, not with iDVD, which (in theory) is why iDVD is so cheap--no MPEG2 and/or DVD licence.

Were that true, I suppose it'd theoretically be legit to use an external DVD-R with iDVD so long as you owned a superdrive, but Apple's not going there.

Sort of a shame for those of us who like burning DVDs but don't want to fork out for the pro version.

5. macrumors member

money is the problem

i sure want the all in one high end model but i tried 3 years to convince my family to buy me a powerbook and now i want them to survive this major purchase with min damage :) so i decided to start with the combo downgrade and maybe later on buy an external dvd-r. but under that circumstances i would go with the integrated superdrive model.

again apple, you won. my bank account is yours :)