iDVD Encoding error

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by gavmil, Nov 22, 2010.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi All

Before I lob my MacBook out in to the street I'm hoping someone can save him!

I'm attempting to burn an .avi file to DVD using iDVD. I've tried every tip on the web including, reducing the encoding quality & reducing the burn speed and de-install and re-install iDVD, but still manage to get the same message 'Encoding Video - There was an error during movie encoding' after having waited an hour for it to encode.

I'm using iDVD '08 Vir.7.0.1 on a MacBook (10.5.8) with over 20GB of free space and 1GB of memory.The .avi file is 500mb in size.

I've tried saving as a Video_TS folder rather than directly to a DVD, but still get the same error.

Can anyone help? I've been playing about with this for two weeks and loosing it now ;-)

Thanks

2. Guest

spinnerlys

What about using MPEG Streamclip to transcode the .avi file (most probably using Divx or Xvid as codec) to a .mov file using the Apple Intermediate Codec for video and Uncompressed for audio and using that resulting file in iDVD?

Btw, how long is the video? With 500MB it shouldn't be longer than 50 minutes.

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Spinnerlys.

New to this and trying to understand the processes. So, I've downloaded and installed MPEG Streamclip and understand the 'Apple Intermediate Codec for video and Uncompressed for audio', but I'm not sure what you mean by your statement '(most probably using Divx or Xvid as codec)'?

4. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

The following may help from this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=750330&highlight=multiplexing

I've often had errors from iDVD, but not had the chance to try the above yet.

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Dave, this worked a treat, finally!

6. macrumors 68030

Dave Braine

Good. I shall try to remember to try it myself next time I have the problem. :D