iDVD error, tried 3 times whats wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by diamond3, Feb 13, 2007.

1. diamond3 macrumors 6502a

Ok, I started a movie to encode and burn over night and in the morning it said it had a burning error. So I tried it again. I opened up iDVD and tried burning it again (still had it encoded) and iDVD froze up completly this time at the audio encoding. I know this step takes a long time, but it froze up completly. The bar wasn't moving, nor the burn symbol and I had the beach volleyball anywhere I moved my mouse on the desktop. Normally that goes away if I am not on iDVD.
    So, I did it a 3rd time. This time I did a save as disc image. It went through everything just fine. Even the audio encoding. As soon as it got to the so called "Burning phase" It was on writing the lead in when it came up with this error:

Here is my console log:

2. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Also, The movie is a little over 2 hours and I used a old theme in idvd. One of the earlier ones. Sorry about the log. I didn't know which has to do with error that I got and not. I left it all on there. I can go back further if I need to.

3. Italchef macrumors 6502

4. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Try removing any audio you've added into the theme. see if that helps.. i know my friend had a problem when she tried burning a DVD using a low-bitrate MP3 I had made

5. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMac G4, 1ghz, 512mb, 17" ilife 06

I have burned a movie every night for the past week that is around 2 hours and have never had a problem. I just want to know if there is something I can do before I am forced to restart the encoding again tonight.

6. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't think that is the problem because its the same quality that I have put on all of the movies that I have made. The only added music is on the menu screen. All the rest is just from the video.

Also I was wondering, would my computer run any programs during the night that could hinder the encoding process? Here is what I do before each burn:

1. Save iMovie, iDVD.
    2. Quit both
    3. Restart comp.
    4. Open iDVD, double check project info for single layer disc. Click the play and go through the chapter markers and check audio.
    5. Click burn.

I noticed last night it happened to be one of those nights where the software update came up but I closed it. Does the computer perform system tasks through the night?

7. Italchef macrumors 6502

I have a G4 iMac and had similar problems. The only thing that fixed it was to burn things at a slower speed. I don't know what caused the errors because it seemed one day it was ok, the next it wouldn't work. I can't remember if I had updated anything or not. As far as the computer running programs at night, there are certain maintenance apps that the machine runs, but someone with more technical expertise could tell you what those are. In any case, I don't think that they would interfere with anything. So if you can think of any kind of software upgrade that has occurred or if you can burn at a lower speed try that.
    Good luck

Mick

8. Beunique82 macrumors newbie

This has happened to me. The 1st thing i would do is check to see how many bites the movie is, it could be possible that the disk cant hold that large a movie.

9. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know though because it came up with the same error when I chose to "Save as disc image" <---- does that require the "Write Lead in". That is where the error came so I don't think it has to do with the burning on a dvd but who knows. I started burning it again with a different theme and it has to reencode. So that was started at 2 pm, so maybe around 11 or 12 tonight I will see what happens. It takes a long time to encode on this machine. But, it has been alright normally when I let it go through the night.

Another question: Will having the monitor and cpu be able to go to sleep affect the speed of the encoding. ex. the monitor goes all black etc.

10. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

gauchogolfer

I think that iMovie has a 2-hour limit (or it could be iDVD, I don't recall). Maybe as an experiment, try chopping out a bit to reduce the size under that, then re-render.

11. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok, the fourth time!!! It didn't work. I keep thinking back to the time issue and don't know if that is it or not. Yes, its over two hours just a little bit. However, I went back and checked the other dvd's I have made recently and it is 2 hours and 3 minutes. I think this one is 2:04 or close to that. I think what I am going to do is start another one and leave this on the computer. I will try the other one and encode it etc. I am also going to try importing in mpeg4. We will see!

12. aj98 macrumors member

Before beginning the run, turn off ALL energy saver settings, including put drive to sleep whenever possible.

What I've found is the system will fall asleep during the rendering process (up to 3 hrs on a 2hr DVD).

Of course, that terminates the render, so the burn never completes.

Turned off all the ES settings, render completes, disk burns, verifies, and is waiting for me the next morning.

13. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Alright, I am trying that tonight and I will see. I am going to however turn the brightness all the way down.

14. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I don't think so. The screen dims but the computer won't sleep. At least it doesn't on my 2yo iMac. I've burned at least 30 movies and always overnight.

In your case an extra minute over your other movies could be 'breaking the camel's back'. I'd delete assets on iDVD, shorten the movie a bit, and re-burn to a disc image.

15. diamond3 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I burned a different movie last night and it worked. Length was 1 hr 54 minutes. It took about 8.5 hours this time. Everything is fine. I guess on that other one I will have to shorten it.

16. aj98 macrumors member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by aj98 View Post
    What I've found is the system will fall asleep during the rendering process (up to 3 hrs on a 2hr DVD).

Maybe its something odd with my machine (MDD1.42DP) but it's true, I'd start a burn at 1130 or so; at 6a the next morning, machine is totally silent, pulsing power light. Gone to sleep. No DVD. The burn operation apparently aborted before the render was complete.

During the troubleshooting process, if I jiggled the mouse every 20 minutes or so (keeping the system awake) , render and burn completed. Attempt to burn a second copy of the disk, didn't touch the mouse, system went to sleep, render fails.

As soon as I turned off sleep & other ES functions, render & burn completed correctly every time.

Thus the conclusion ES was interfering.