iDVD file formats help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Synapple, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Synapple macrumors regular

Hi all,

I've been trying to make a DVD with a compilation of some music videos for more than a week and I'm pulling my hair now as I can't get to the result I'm looking for.

I have 10 Vob files, size is approx. 240 MB each. My intention is to just create some fun menus in iDVD, drop the videos and burn.

Now, the problems: I soon discovered I needed to convert the Vob files to a format Quicktime could read. I used ffmpegxx to convert to .mov files first and tried some .mp4 files. After burning the DVD, the quality was definitely not acceptable as everything was pretty blurry and pixelated.
    Please bear in mind that I'm coming from excellent .vob files.

Thinking the file format I had chosen wasn't the best one, I tried with some .avis (DivX): I bought the DivX component for Quicktime but still any files converted with ffmpegxx wouldn't play as clear as expected.

I then thought I could just leave it at that and use .vob files: I bought the mpeg-2 component for Quicktime and little I knew that all my files had an AC3 audio encoding, so that they could play in Quicktime but with no audio at all.

I then tried Mpeg-stream and converted to mpeg-2 with mpeg-II audio. Now they all play beautifully in Quicktime but still, when I drag them onto iDVD, the application tells me that "your last action is not supported by iDVD".

Now, my question is: what do I have to do in order to burn this compilation through iDVD and making sure I preserve the appropriate quality level?
    Is there any specific file formats and associated settings that I can rely on?

Sorry for the long post but I've tried so many things!

Thanks

:)

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

iDVD expects QT movies or DV stream files, try converting your VOB's to DV format and then iDVD will do the MPEG2 conversion internally.

DVD Studio Pro will accept MPEG2 files directly and the QT exporter has the twin pass engine to make to make it look pretty good.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. Synapple thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot for your replies.

I ended up converting to DV... I had wrongly assumed that those big DV files would never fit into the iDvd project. Instead, it worked perfectly and my dvd now plays beautifully in crystal clear quality!

Thanks so much!

5. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Toast can also author DVDs from MPEG/AC-3 files - but check eBay or local shops for old copies of DVD Studio Pro (you should be able to find some good deals) - since now all the pro apps are bundled in the Production Suite.

6. Synapple thread starter macrumors regular

You read my mind.
    Just today I was looking for DVD SP on the apple store to see what was it all about (and check out the price) and found out the stand-alone version is no longer offered.
    As you can tell I'm a total noob at video stuff so I guess e-bay is really the place to look.

7. mkaake macrumors 65816

Prices have shot up as of late, because of the UB crossgrade...