iDVD Help (16:9 widescreen)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BulkHedd, Jan 20, 2007.

1. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2006
    I have a DV camera that shoots in 16:9 widescreen (a Canon Elura 100). Today I filmed some of my nephew's basketball game and want to burn a DVD of it for my brother. When I imported the video into iMovie it started doing the "Letterboxing" thing. I did some searching and found out how to prevent that (by saving the video and closing iMovie before disconnecting the camera). So when I open a new iDVD project and add the video from iMovie it burns it vertically stretched so it looks wrong and it isn't widescreen! When I created the iDVD project I made sure it was set to 16:9 widescreen.

What can I do?
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Have you ever played a 16:9 movie on DVD? They are horizontally squeezed, or vertically stretched as you would say. There is a button on a widescreen TV's remote control which stretches the video's horizontal. The result is a glorious 16:9 video which fills the screen.
  3. BulkHedd thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 13, 2006
    Yes, I understand that but when I play the DVD on my widescreen MacBook it doesn't display as widescreen and it should. Also when I preview the project in iDVD it looks squeezed.

Edit: I may have found the problem. I never noticed that little "Video" option triangle in iMovie in the new project section. I have now set it for 16:9 widescreen. Hopefull this will work.
  4. dodomac macrumors newbie

Jul 21, 2007
    Did you succeed?

I have not been able to store and view the movie as widescreen despite trying the following:

In iMovie
    I import the widescreen (16:9) home movie shot on my Sony DV camcorder as video format: DV Widescreen.
    This appears (as it says) in DV format except uses 16:9 aspect ratio.
    I have problems sending the movie to iDVD due to an unknown error!

In iDVD
    I create a new project with aspect ratio: Widescreen (16:9)
    I drag the above iMovie into my selected Theme.
    However, it is viewed in the 4:3 cropped area only, i.e. 16:9 squashed.
    And so the burned dvd appears the same.

If you managed to fix your problem please share your solution.

Thanks in advance.

I've now tried to create everything in widescreen, i.e. Themes, etc. However, when I view the movie it is still 16:9 displayed in the cropped 4:3 area (as above)! I will keep trying and report back when I find a viable solution.

A thought just occurred to me. Whilst trying to record directly from my Sony DCR-PC330E DV Camera, the iMovie is displayed as 4:3 even though the DV camera displays its setting as 16:9. I know it works in 16:9 as I had created DVDs from movies previously on a Windows PC.

So it occurs to me that maybe the iMovie s/w doesn't recognise correctly my DV camera. Anyone know anything about this?

The solution was to set the project frame rate to 25fps, and not 29.97fps.
    25fps is PAL whilst the latter is NTSC.
    It's a shame apple didn't label this as such or automatically pick this up from your camera.
    No matter, I'm getting 16:9 and I'm happy. Still can't share it with iDVD though so have to import manually.