idvd + imovie question

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jhomayne, Apr 23, 2005.

1. jhomayne macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2004

i am not currently in the possession of a camcorder but may well be in the future and i was wondering whether i can safely delete idvd and imovie (i have an non-superdrive ibook so idvd could pretty much go anyway but..) and then reinstall them from the cds that came with my ibook as and when i get a camcorder?

ta. :)
  2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

Dec 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Yeah...but applications themselves REALLY don't take up much room at all. Only a few megabytes a piece, usually.
  3. jhomayne thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 1, 2004
  4. matticus008 macrumors 68040

Jan 16, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Yeah, iDVD comes with a lot of templates and themes in order to build DVD projects. Along with GarageBand, they're the largest iLife apps out of the box. I guess the question is, why do you want to remove them? Taking out iDVD makes sense if you have no SuperDrive (it is a large application), but iMovie could be useful (even without a camera you can load clips and edit them or make slideshows with more options than iPhoto). If you might be getting a camera in the near future, that's all the more reason to leave it.

But certainly you can drag them to the trash and then reinstall them later. All you have to do is insert the OS X install disc and select "install bundled software only" and you'll be on your way. Incidentally, if you're getting Tiger soon and have iLife on your restore DVD, this is also the way to reinstall iLife, should you need to.