iDVD keeps quitting during video encoding

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by livingfortoday, Sep 19, 2006.

1. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    I've been trying for a few days now to get iDVD to save a disk image to my computer hard drive (since my Superdrive isn't here yet), but every time it'll crash at some random part of the encoding. The last time I tried it crashed within a few seconds, but last time it had encoded one of the three videos in my project before it crashed. It just "unexpectedly quits".

I have nothing else running at the same time, or anything like that. This is version 6.0.2 that came with my Mini. I'm on a Mac Mini Core Solo, with 1GB RAM.

Does anyone know what the problem is, or how to fix this?
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Is it with the same files each time? Could you try some different files? :)
  3. livingfortoday thread starter macrumors 68030

Nov 17, 2004
    The Msp
    It's done it with two different projects so far, though right now I finally got one to the end! It took three attempts to get it to work, though. It's kind of frustrating to have to have a lot of false starts, especially since the whole process takes so long on my Core Solo Mini.
  4. johnkenn76 macrumors newbie

Dec 31, 2009
    idvd unexpectedly quits when burning

After trying lots of times to burn the idvd movie I made of my friends wedding I realised why it didn't burn. I registered on here to share my knowledge as it could save you lots of time as plenty of people are giving complicated advice to a simple problem.

If you have created chapters in your movie which is used for IDVD, within IDVD make sure you have the still image button marked in the inspector window for the sub menu buttons.

This stops the video playing in small windows on the sub menu for each clip marked as a chapter. The video preview crashes the burning process and doesn't tell you it's the problem so you end up trying all sorts to fix it.

So if IDVD unexpectedly quits, try using images instead of video preview on the video sub menu, this makes the dvd easy to render and looks more professional also.

p.s get rid of the apple watermark as well in preferences - it's an option, not a work around.