iDVD - .mov to DVD is taking ages!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AlBDamned, Jun 13, 2005.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Hi all,

I've just turned a .mov file into DVD using iDVD for the first time. The actual asset encoding took about 3.5 hours for 120 minutes. is that good/bad/average. Is there a faster way?

I basically want to watch stuff on a DVD player and normal screen and not my Powerbook.

I know my DVD player will play mpegs, so could I just turn the .mov files into mpegs? I don't have QT 7 Pro unfortunately but I have d/l VLC.... What can be done?!

2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    Unfortunately, that is how long these things take. QuickTime Pro would take just as long. I don't even think it does MPEG2 conversion anyways. You could just hook up your PB to your TV. That would be the easiest way to do it.
  3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Yeah it looks like it. My TV is wacked though, I need to check what inputs it has but I think it's lacking in the Powerbook connection possibilities.

Overall, a three hour film took about 6 hours from .mov to playable DVD. How much faster would it be (if any) on my work Dual 1.8 G5 (compared to 1.67 PB)?
  4. TheScotsman macrumors newbie

Oct 21, 2009
    This is how I do it...

I am having the same problem, I'm a Mac/PC guy, I use the Mac for all my serious work, video editing, audio, etc. and use the PC for everything else. I do a lot of 10-20 minute promo videos but recently I edited an hour and a half production and went to burn it on my MacBook. Wow, I was blown away to see how utterly slow it was, like 4-5 hours for a single dvd. I closed the program and gave up, I've researched this over and over and still don't see a clear, fast solution.

I got a bright idea and exported the .mov to an mpeg format file to my PC and used a program called Power Producer to burn the disc. The software let's you create Video TS folders, an ISO or burn directly to disc. I chose burn to Disc and it only took about 20 minutes to convert the file and start burning it. I did three discs at once and it finished in under 40 minutes from start to end.

I know there is some quality loss by converting but it looked great and really impressed my clients. The original .mov file on my MacBook was 18GB, when I converted it down to mpeg it was just under 3GB, I then transfered it to a flash drive and dumped it to my PC. Oh Yeah, I used a program called Burn for the Mac to create my mpeg file, simply drag your .mov to it and it will convert the file. I Haven't had much luck actually burning converted files in that program yet and iDVD rejects it completely! What is the real solution here?

I realize this is an inferior solution to the real problem but it worked for me in a crunch. If you have a PC laying around then you might give it a shot with some free software research, maybe Nero or something? Power Producer came with my Everio DV Cam.

I'd love to hear if anyone has successfully burned an hour and a half production from Final Cut (.mov to dvd) in less than 30 minutes, please tell oh wise one!~
  5. ozcanfm macrumors newbie

Dec 15, 2009
    same problem here. Thats how I stumbled on to this forum. I had about 40 minutes of footage which took nearly 4 hours to burn using iDVD. I'm new to Macs so I thought it might be just me. The quality is great and the process is easy so that a plus. I used iMOvie to edit some footage from my video camera. The file was a .mov in HD setting in iMovie.
  6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

Jun 11, 2007
    iDVD accepts .mov formats :) provided that the codecs inside are compatible - it can accept .m4v/mp4 as well no probs, but its a silly process to be doing twice.

Toast Titanium or Visual Hub.