Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
I'm going through a slow iDVD learning process at the moment but have already successfully transferred an .avi file to a .mov using DivX Doctor II and then to a DVD on my Powerbook (using iDVD V.5.01).

Am now going through the same process on a 1.8D G5 to see how much quicker it is, but this version of iDVD (V.4.0.1) does not seem to like these Sony DVD-RWs and just spits it out. Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this? The DVDs are brand new, just unwrapped and I've tried two different ones to check. Could be the SuperDrive (possible - but it burns CDs perfectly), could be the disc (unlikely?), could be an iDVD problem (clueless...).

Also - would anyone want to predict how much faster the G5 should do this over the Powerbook? The .mov files were 440mb in total and the DVD has come out at 2.6GB used. Powerbook took about 4.5 hours in total (from .avi to finished product).

Cheers

AL

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
SuperDrives are touchy beasts. Try "drutil info" in the Terminal to make sure DVD-RW is listed as a supported media. Also, make sure this isn't a DVD+RW, which the SuperDrive might not support at all.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
yellow said:
SuperDrives are touchy beasts. Try "drutil info" in the Terminal to make sure DVD-RW is listed as a supported media. Also, make sure this isn't a DVD+RW, which the SuperDrive might not support at all.

OK - these discs are DVD+RW but as said, the Powerbook burned it fine.

I'm not to familiar with Terminal's wording, but it looks like they both support the DVD+RW.

Here is the terminal text:

Interconnect: ATAPI
SupportLevel: Apple Shipping
Cache: 2000k (on the powerbook this is 2048k but that's the only difference on both terminals)

CD-Write: -R, -RW, BUFE, CDText, Test, IndexPts, ISRC
DVD-Write: -R, -RW, +R, +RW, BUFE, Test
Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO

The two drives seem to differ though (obviously one is slot loading one has a tray..)

PowerMac: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-117D B705

PowerBook: MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-845E DMP2

Could it be an iDVD (V.4.01 vs V.5.0.1) difference?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
AlBDamned said:
OK - these discs are DVD+RW but as said, the Powerbook burned it fine.
Doesn't necessarily mean anything.

AlBDamned said:
I'm not to familiar with Terminal's wording, but it looks like they both support the DVD+RW.
You are correct.

AlBDamned said:
Could it be an iDVD (V.4.01 vs V.5.0.1) difference?
Unknown, but I'd say it's a distinct posibility. Could be that v4 doesn't recognize DVD+R, even though the Finder does? Hopefully someone with v4 can chime in and give you help.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
yellow said:
Unknown, but I'd say it's a distinct posibility. Could be that v4 doesn't recognize DVD+R, even though the Finder does? Hopefully someone with v4 can chime in and give you help.

OK thanks Yellow. That's the only thing I can see immediately, but I'm learning I'm not to good at 'thinking geometrically(?)' so my observations are basic!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Might be quicker to hop out and grab a DVD-RW from someone/somewhere, it would certainly help troubleshooting.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
yellow said:
Might be quicker to hop out and grab a DVD-RW from someone/somewhere, it would certainly help troubleshooting.

That's what I'm thinking. Been called to a meeting so it will have to wait unfortunately (Damn work interupting...!) and out of the office then till Monday so it will have to wait till then. Damn! I'll update then.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
iDVD 4 doesn't support DVD+RW iDVD5 does - I have the same problem and have, so far, been too cheap to upgrade to iLife '05. If you look at the Apple page for iDVD5 it talks about it now supporting all formats. Don't know of any work arounds for it.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Nickygoat said:
iDVD 4 doesn't support DVD+RW iDVD5 does - I have the same problem and have, so far, been too cheap to upgrade to iLife '05. If you look at the Apple page for iDVD5 it talks about it now supporting all formats. Don't know of any work arounds for it.

So a DVD-RW would solve the problem? As above, I'll only be able to confirm that with my case on Monday, but it certainly would make sense.

Cheers guys

AL

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
Oh yeah - would anyone like to hazard a guess on the difference in processing time a-la first post in the thread:

To convert a 440MB .mov file into a 2.6GB DVD.

The 1.67 Powerbook took about 4-4.5 hours, what about the 1.8D G5....?

AL

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
I think it would depend more on the SuperDrive in question. While the bus speeds in the computers would differ, as well as the hard drive data speeds (the info from an 7200RPM SATA drive can get to the SuperDrive a lot faster then it can from a 4500RPM ATA drive in the PowerBook), I think ultimately the bottleneck would be in the SuperDrive.

I couldn't speculate on speed differences, only to say that (I think) the G5 should be faster then the G4 at burning the DVD. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly familiar with the Matshita line of DVRs. Only one way to find out, eh?

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
yellow said:
I couldn't speculate on speed differences, only to say that (I think) the G5 should be faster then the G4 at burning the DVD. Unfortunately, I'm not terribly familiar with the Matshita line of DVRs. Only one way to find out, eh?

I'd really hope the G5 was quicker by a stretch but it may well not be. You're right - there's only one way to find out. I think I may do a parallel comparison on Monday, using a new DVD-R(not RW) on both machines. The only problem I can see with with that is slowing up the G5 while using it for work. You think Quark/photoshop/mail/web useage could slow down the burning process at all or would it be better to do a consecutive test with zero other apps open on the burning machine. Should be interesting...

Having checked the iDVD pages on the support pages, I'm 99% sure that Nickygoat was right and version 4 doesn't support DVD+ (R or RW).

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 14, 2005
As suspected, iDVD V4 does not work with the DVD+ format.

Have begun burning above movie file on the G5 (using a DVD-R). Let's see how long she takes....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.