iDVD not responding...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jsnoah, Jan 4, 2007.

1. jsnoah macrumors member

jsnoah

Ok.. I have a white 2.0GHz macbook Core Duo and I finally have gotten all the way through the encoding process in iMovie and then when I go to iDVD, I get all the way to the end of that encoding process and just before burning to DVD, the app chokes and just doesnt' respond anymore... Any way to allocate more ram like I used ot be able to do in classic? Maybe I won't get the crash type thing? I also wonder though if when I get the "Not Responding" when I Ctrl+Apple+Esc it is just stalled while it is processing and going to the next part of the job?

Any hints?

Thanks!

2. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

iDVD "not responding" is not unusual, just stick with it, I've seen it act like it is frozen during audio encoding or some other step, while it is actually working fine. Give it some time, it takes about an hour on my machine with 512MB RAM to prepare and burn a DVD. Then it asks whether you want to burn another one, if you say yes the second one burns in a matter of minutes. Somehow encoding takes a long time and causes iDVD seem like it is hanging.

3. jsnoah thread starter macrumors member

jsnoah

Thanks! But....

I will give it a go! Thanks you very much! Glad to see someone else had an issue...

4. jsnoah thread starter macrumors member

jsnoah

It worked this time!

Of course I wasn't sitting over it watching. Maybe it just needed some privacy. Of course I haven't played it yet so I am not deleting it from the computer until I see it really work... But thanks again for your help!:D

5. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

My advice is to save as a disc image from iDVD instead of straight to DVD, and leave it overnight (i.e., don't use the computer while it's working). In the morning you can mount the disk image by clicking on it and check it's all OK in DVD player. Then when you know it's OK you can use Disk Utility to burn to disc.

6. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Jsnoah is right. It looks like its hanging on the audio encoding part but its not. Just give it time and it will eventually finish. It can take a while depending on what it is encoding.

If you open the force quit window you will see it goes from 'not responding' to 'normal' everyso often. Even though it says not responding it is actually doing something. So like Jsnoah says, just give it time.

Go mow the lawn or something :D

7. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

It only takes an hour or so, no need for overnighting. Once it goes through encoding, I've never had the burned DVD fail.

Hey, it was I who said that. :)