iDVD patch

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by modyouup, Aug 9, 2002.

1. modyouup macrumors member

Do any of you guys know of a patch for iDVD that will allow you to burn 120 min dvds instead of just 90? any info is appreciated!

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

no, I don't think it can be done, there is only one patch which alows iDVD to be used will none super drives (like other DVD burners)

so no sorry

3. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

4. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

It's called DVD Studio Pro

Yeah, I hate this restriction too, but it is one of the features of DVD Studio Pro, so I guess they want to sell more copies of that instead of giving us that ability in iDVD. Oh well.

Gus

5. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: It's called DVD Studio Pro

well, it's not an artificial restriction.... it's due to increased compression... and likely variable bit encoding.

arn

6. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

No it isn't. I spoke to an Apple dude at Macworld NY and he said it was due to licensing issues. It's all a ploy to get more money but since dvd studio pro ain't free, they put the feature in there.

7. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

it may cost more to include the variable bit encoding algorithm... but it is a more complicated algorithm to fit 120minutes of time in the same space.

arn

8. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

There has to be some hack for iDVD to allow 120 minute dvds. I wish i could find one, but i wouldnt know where to look....

9. awrc macrumors regular

Well,yes, but going by what various people have said, that hack is "write your own VBR MPEG-2 codec and patch it into iDVD". It's not something trivial like finding the "120Min = No" line in a config file and changing it to "Yes" :D

10. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

dont we all wish it was that simple!!:(