Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Philberttheduck

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2006
HB, CA
I have a bunch of home videos that I want to put on a DVD. When I loaded each (4 clips) into the iDVD thing, I tried looking for a "Play All" button. Can anyone teach me how to at least mod one? I'm a mac newb so it'd be nice if u could teach me nub-style, through PM if necessary. Thank you.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
The way to do that is to load them all into a single iMovie, and put a chapter marker at the start of each movie. Then export the movie to iDVD.

Edit: the movie exported to iDVD includes a play all button as well as chapter buttons

road dog

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2004
Don't think it can be done in iDVD.
I use Toast instead... it has a continuous play option.

Sdashiki

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2005
Behind the lens
I dont use iDVD, but DVD Studio Pro, and pretty much any DVD program, including iDVD if it can, makes a Play All button, by a script.

it works like this:

pressing the play all button RUNS a script that changes a variable stored in the DVD players memory from 0 to 1 (example of course)

every single video file in the "Play All" list is a solo track, or a single long track, with chapter markers at the beginning AND end of the video segment(s).

the beginning chapter marker says "at the end of this chapter, check variable "PLAY ALL", if it is 0, go back to main menu, if it is 1 continue to next chapter.

the very last video in the sequence, its chapter marker says "change variable from 1 to 0" so that way when it goes back to the main menu, the "Play All" button has been reset

so its NOT that simple, but its not THAT complex either.

but it takes some logic, a couple of scripts and some patience, leaving me to believe iDVD doesnt do it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.