iDVD project question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 66217, Nov 1, 2006.

1. 66217 Guest

Jan 30, 2006
    I created a iDVD project, where I included some videos and imported slideshows from iPhoto. But my question is: Can I erase all the slideshows from iPhoto and My Movies folder? (There are like 1.5gb worth o quicktime movies from the slideshows, and I need the space).

I mean, does the DVD projects depends of anything else on my Mac Hard Drive? Or the name.dvdproj has all that is needed for the movie to work?

2. Witty lama macrumors member

May 16, 2006
    I was thinking a similar thing... I would like to know as well as I am also running out of HD space! Here's hoping someone knows (or is willing to delete their movies to test it out for us :eek: )
  3. 66217 thread starter Guest

Jan 30, 2006
  4. joris.hoftijzer macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2006
    as far as i know you need the files; I've moved them to an external drive to solve the issue. if you update your iMovie, iDVD automatically updates it own movie upon loading so that shows you the files is read there and then
  5. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Nope, you need them to live where they are. The dvd project file just contains links to the actual files.

You can create an idvd archive on an external drive which would copy over all the relevant files - but that doesn't help if you're trying to just save space.

Alternatively, burn a copy of the finished iDVD as an iso file and then dump the source since you can burn fresh copies from the iso - you just can't amend.
  6. slevytam macrumors newbie

Nov 24, 2006
    Best thing to do is archive the iDVD project to an external drive. Archiving will make a copy of all the source media files. You can then delete the media on your local drive to free up space. If you are doing this solely for backup you could archive the iDVD project then burn it. To archive the iDVD see this how to: iClarified - How to Copy or Move an iDVD 08 Project
  7. agapaga macrumors newbie

Mar 27, 2009
    You could also create a disc image, which would also save everything needed for the DVD - the benefit to doing this is that the next time you want to create a DVD (exactly the same as the current one), you won't have to wait for it to encode, which is what takes so long -
    Basically what will happen, is the software will encode all the assets and then drop a "disc image" wherever you want to save it. The disc image is an exact copy of the DVD contents.
    You should be absolutely sure you're not going to want to edit the movie anytime in the future if you then proceed to delete the original movie files.
    But basically, the disc image is like storing the DVD (not the original movie files, but rather the encoded, smaller-sized DVD itself) on your hard drive instead of burning it to a DVD -- to then burn it to a DVD only takes as long as it takes to burn, none of that nasty encoding that takes five hours. This is a great thing to do if you know you want to burn a DVD more than once, a big time-saver.
    I'm working on an iDVD software system How-To video, which will be available in the near future at my website,
    Good luck, and have fun! :)