iDVD question about compression

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skippydumptruck, Jun 11, 2006.

1. skippydumptruck macrumors newbie

I have a .avi file that I would like to burn to a DVD using iDVD. I tried importing the .avi through iDVD itself, which resulted in an error. I used ffmpegX to convert the .avi to what I thought was DVD standard, but it resulted in three files that iDVD does not recognize (.ac3, .m2v, .wav).

The point of my question is, I realize that the .avi file is already compressed. I know I could convert it to a .mov or something and that iDVD would take it, and then compress it again. I am trying to avoid the extra compression step and convert it to an output that iDVD will accept and not recompress. What format should I output to? Thanks!

2. road dog macrumors regular

AVI files are containers for other file types.

AVI can be a container for an uncompressed digital video file (DV) like the kind that comes off a camcorder... it can also typically be a container for DivX files (which it sounds like your file is).

DivX files are a variant of MPEG4. iDVD produces MPEG2 - which is what a DVD player needs. There's no way to get it into iDVD without the double conversion.

A better option would be Toast, which can go DivX to DVD in one step.

3. skippydumptruck thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the clear and helpful response :) I'll use Toast.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you download and install DivX 6.5, your DivX-encoded .avi files should work in iDVD [and most other QuickTime-compatible apps] just fine.