idvd question and dvd burning question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by air23cary, Oct 11, 2004.

1. air23cary macrumors member

1. i am considering getting a new iMac so i can make highlight tapes/scouting reports of classic basketball games that i have on dvd. do i need a special program to rip the clips from the dvd into imovie or can imovie handle that myself? there is no camera involved.

2. what will a new 1.8 g5 imac with 1 gig ram burn a dvd in? 10 minutes? less?

2. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

If you're pulling the footage from a VCR, DVD Player, or DVR player then you will need a bridge (not familiar with these) to transfer that footage into digital video while importing into iMovie, FCP, Toast. Or if you have a digital video camera some can do that by running your video source through the camera into the Mac via firewire. I have a Sony Digital Handycam and I can just plug my VCR into it and it will display what is playing from the VCR...I can then select import in iMovie and it will import what's playing from the VCR.
    Also, I believe there may be some apps that allow you to pull video from DVD's that are in your Mac's drive.....not sure what they are though.

The iMac G5 has a 4X DVD-R burner. It will burn a full disc with 4X media in around 13 minutes I think. But when using iMovie and iDVD you will have lots of rendering/encoding times that will have to come first (which will essentially allow you create the video the way you want it to look and compress it to fit onto a DVD for watching on DVD players.

3. Rod Rod macrumors 68020

Rod Rod

The special program you need is DVDxDV. I bought it and it's worth every penny. www.dvdxdv.com ... It does exactly what it's supposed to. The free preview of the program puts a watermark on the processed footage, so you see exactly what you're getting (then you can pay them and remove the watermark).

It extracts DV out of DVDs, making it ready for iMovie / Final Cut.

If you're trying to extract DV out of copy-protected DVDs, DVDxDV doesn't let you do that. You'd have to add another step to the process to do that, but I'm sure you can figure that out. Before that I'm sure you'd write the copyright holders and get permission.

4. besonmark macrumors member

Trouble burning DVD

I put in a blank DVD +R, and it spins then spits the Disk out. First it was saying unmountable media.

Please help!

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

try using DVD - R not 100% compat with DVD+R as far as i know

6. iBert macrumors regular

iBert

i had the same problem. Remember that the super drive is a dvd-r unit.

7. besonmark macrumors member

DVD -r vrs DVD +r

What actually is the difference>?