iDVD Question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BLINK, Feb 3, 2005.

1. BLINK macrumors member

Jul 21, 2004
    I have an older version of iDVD (I think its 3.0). Anyway, I have a widescreen movie that I want put on a DVD. In Quicktime, it shows up widescreen with the black panels above and below it. In iDVD, it stretches the picture to fit a fullscreen. This makes everything seem stretched. Is there anyway that I can leave it widescreen or at least with the black panels aboev and belwo?
  2. Bear macrumors G3

Jul 23, 2002
    Sol III - Terra
    You'll have to see if the new version of iMovie has an option for that. Or the new version of iDVD.
  3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    The short answer is no, the long answer is yes, but you need to throw the video at something like Final Cut Pro.

The problem is that DVD framesize is 720x576, which is standard 4:3 ratio, anything in a widescreen ratio (16:9 etc) ia distorted by being stretched. If playback is on a widescreen TV, then you can force the picture to re-conform to the 16:9 ratio by changing the viewing aspect of the screen, but it doesn't always work that well.

To be sure, you need to "letterbox" footage, i.e. add the black bars at the top and bottom of the screen that mean you frame is 4:3 whilst the picture is 16:9 within the frame. The movie will then playback on standard screens as widescreen, and on widescreen TVs you simply choose the "natural" setting.

FCP allows you to do this, I imaging FC Express does too, iMovie 4 doesn't, don't know about iMovie 5, it's HD OK, but how it handles 16:9 I've no idea.

Sorry if this sounds a bit complex, it's a common problem when working widescreen, most video types simply use a widescreen monitor and only letterbox at the final stage.
  4. GrannySmith_G5 macrumors 6502

Aug 28, 2003
    There is a plugin for older versions of imovie which letterboxes the video. I'll try and dig it up. The new imovie lets you import clips as dv widescreen and the new idvd lets you burn them in the widescreen format. Note that if you want to burn say an .avi widescreen file in idvd it will stretch the video. It is has to be formated to dv in imovie first (or final cut express/pro,etc.)