iDVD render time

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacDonaldsd, May 14, 2006.

1. MacDonaldsd macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I have the latest version of iDVD and a Powerbook G4 1.33 GHZ, 768 RAM and it is taking ages to render a DVD

Is this because rendering takes a long time to render in general or that my Powerbook is starting to show its age ?

2. jonparadise macrumors member

I've got the same model, but with 1Gig of Ram, and it's still very slow to render, burning is quick though. I'm not sure if there is a perfromance improvement on the Intel Macs or not.

3. Eluon macrumors regular

If you have made a movie in iMovie and used the Ken Burns Effect on the images, it takes FOREVER to render/burn. It has to go through each frame. It sucks.

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

combination of effects and the power of your machine

in general rendering takes a long time

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It does take a long time. Doing best quality, my 1.25Ghz PB takes around 4 hours to render and burn a DVD from iDVD (that's when it's doing around 50 minutes of video plus some animated menus)

6. MacDonaldsd thread starter macrumors 65816

MacDonaldsd

I am curious about how long the macbook pros take as that will be my next machine in a year or so

P.S. my iDVD is still going after 3 hours : ( only about 1hr of video

7. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

Ive uesd mine in final cut not idvd, but really you would have to compare the same effects and footage to be accurate.

8. gnasher729 macrumors Pentium

gnasher729

Yes, it takes ages. Encoding material for DVDs is one of the hardest tasks for any computer.

In the case of iDVD, it gets much worse if you try to put more than one hour of material onto one DVD. Up to an hour of video, iDVD uses a quick encoding method that doesn't compress too well, but as it is only an hour of video, it still fits easily onto one DVD. Over an hour, iDVD has to compress the material much more. And as you don't want to lose quality, iDVD has to work extra hard to compress at the same quality into much smaller space. So encoding two hours of video doesn't take just twice as long as one hour as you would expect, it takes four times as long or more because iDVD has to work a lot lot harder to fit everything onto one DVD.

9. munkees macrumors 65816

munkees

it just as slow, so it seems, on my imac cd 20" with 1gb ram

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

My 1.8DP G5 with 2GB RAM and 256VRAM takes about 2 hours to render 90 minutes of footy action with minimal menu screens.