iDVD-telling me I need Dual Layer Disc?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DrumaChick420, Apr 18, 2006.

1. DrumaChick420 macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,
    I am new to OSX and iDVD. I added some footage from my video camera into imovie, 5 clips totaling 65 minutes worth. I then went into iDVD and started a project. The only thing I did was add some music to the menu parts and added some pictures into the Drop Zones of both menus. I previewed it and it is ready to burn.... But, when I press the burn button it tells me I have too much to fit on a regular DVD and that I need a Dual Layer Disc. So I go out and buy a three pack of them, jeez they are expensive... Anyway, I open it back up, stick the DVD-DL in and it says there is too much data to fit on it....

I have Toast 5 Titanium as well, which I have used to burn other DVD's much longer then this project and Toast was telling me the file was too big as well.

Am I missing a step I need to do? Compression or something? Making files smaller? To me, it's only 65 minutes worth, it should fit on a normal blank DVD no?
    Thanks for any help in advance.
    J.

2. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

I was in a similar position a while ago. What worked for me was importing to iMovie, than from iMovie, export to iDVD. My project was only about 45 minutes, but RAW, it was almost 10 GB! When you import from the camera, it's in full quality, compression is the way to do that through iMovie.

Other people may have better ways, but that has worked for me.

-yankeefan

3. DrumaChick420 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhhh... Gotcha... :) Thanks so much.
    J.