iDVD very slow

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by CaVoLo, Aug 9, 2005.

1. CaVoLo macrumors member

Hello all,

I have a few questions for all of you.

I have a rev. a dual 2.0 G5 w/ 512 ram. I have been making a movie in idvd for probably about 2 weeks. As of yesterday idvd became very slow and sluggish and froze often whenever i opened my project. I was wondering if anyone knew how to fix this.

Also my entire computer seems slower than usual. I don't know the reason for this. It is acting like a windows machine that is all bogged down. I don't know if there is some reformat thing i could do or defragment. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Eastend macrumors 6502

I also have been using iDVD a lot recently, I have a dual 2.5 G5 with 2 GB of Ram. iDVD usually encodes at about real time on my machine, however if you look in the activity monitor in the Utilities folder you'll see that iDVD is Ram hungry. When I use iDVD on my Mac Mini with 512 MB of Ram it is about 3 times slower than the G5, this could also be due to CPU speed, but I doubt it, it's probably 90 per cent Ram. If I were you I would also think about using a utility for clearing out your catches and performing regular day, weekly and monthly scripts. Then use disk utility to repair disk permissions. None of that may help you because this all sounds like maybe you need more Ram. Another thing, when iDVD encodes the Audio portion the beach ball sometimes spins and even Activity Monitor will say it is not Responding. At that time Activity Monitor is wrong it is indeed working and always goes on to the next step which is Multiplexing. Hope you find the problem.

Brian