iDVD with PM Combo drive

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Hockey Nut, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Hockey Nut macrumors member

I bought a PM with a combo drive and added the Pioneer A05 DVD burner.

Although Apple states that iDVD is only installed on superdrive models, my PM had it installed.

F.Y.I.

2. daniel77 macrumors 6502

3. Hockey Nut thread starter macrumors member

iDVD3 is software for the superdrive. My point is that Apple states that you will not get the software installed unless you purchase a superdrive. You would have to then buy iLife to get it.

My computer came with iDVD3 installed, even though I didn't get the superdrive.

4. daniel77 macrumors 6502

i am somewhat confused on this issue. if i buy a fp imac tomorrow, will i be able to burn dvds on it, assuming it has the SD in it? or will i have to buy iLife?

5. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

there are a couple of things that will happen. you will buy an imac and ilife will already be on the system. or there will be ilife cd's in the box and you have to install it. some powermacs ship with idvd, this is normal, even if you have a combo drive. it doesnt matter because it wont open because you dont have the right hardware to use it.

iJon

6. macphoria macrumors 6502a

macphoria

I've seen Power Macs with combo drive and iDVD installed on them as well. I think the reason Power Macs equipped with combo drive having iDVD is because they have one common set of installation discs for all Power Mac lines.

7. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

My Refurb CDROM eMac came with it preinstalled. I also got the iLife disc as well.

8. hugemullens macrumors 6502a

hugemullens

When i got my Quicksilver it came with a regular cdrw and idvd 2 right in the dock. It never opened until i installed the superdrive, but it came with it preinstalled. I still havent sprung for ilife, but i see no reason why it wont work.