iDVD without superdrive

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by AmigoMac, Oct 22, 2003.

1. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

A friend just told me that is possible to install iDVD even without having Superdrive, if true, what kind of advantage will it bring to me? What kind of function will it offer? Will be possible to save .mov / .mp4 movies with chapters?

Thx...

2. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Hmmm..

Technically, I believe you COULD install it but it doesn't work with 3rd party dvd burners.

3. mrdrumbum macrumors newbie

yes, that is true. the app won't even open without a superdrive.

4. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

I dont want to burn a DVD...

I'd like to have a mov movie with chapters and those themes ... my PB comes with combo drive and I just want to send some mov / mp4 files to my family but how could I use iDVD?

5. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

It does launch without a DVD burner, but there is no point because you can't export, you the only option is to burn. The G5's at my school have iDVD but not DVD burner. I think there was a mix-up because they gave a dvd-r with each Mac. :/

6. jelwell macrumors member

I've done this. (Although now I own a superdrived 15inch powerbook). It's not a pretty thing. For starters you can't really do anything with the saved file. Transferring it over to a superdrived machine is not straightforward. You have to copy the save file - and any files referenced (all video, photos, music) over to the new machine in the *EXACT* location as they existed on the machine you built the DVD on. That means /Users/jelwell/Documents/MovieLocation/*

Which means you'll need to create a user that is the same, or simply a folder in your Users directory.

Mostly it's only good for playing with. Getting an idea of what's possible for when you finally get your hands on a real superdrive.

joe.

7. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

8. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

What if you had a G4 laptop without a SuperDrive and wanted to work on iDVD projects? Then, after you were done, could you connect the G4 laptop to your G5 desktop (via network or target drive) and run the iDVD project right off of the laptop?

would something like this work?

9. AmigoMac thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

that's a good point...ftaok

maybe someone could solve this situation for us, then I could install iDVD in my PB and then connect it to the iMac my wife wants to buy...

-------------------

My next PB will be a G5 13", superdrive 4x, 1GB RAM, 120 GB HD... ohhh and dont forget my next 80 GB iPod :p