idvd4 and a G3 700MHz ibook

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ines, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Ines macrumors member

ilife 04 idvd only works with 733MHz mac's ... mine is a G3 with 700MHz can I upgrade the processor or is it a new ibook that I need?

2. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

iDVD 4 requires a 733MHz G4 processor, so it sounds like you might be out of luck. However, does anyone know if iDVD checks your hardware before it installs to see if you meet the requirements? Now that you don't have to have a SuperDrive installed to install iDVD, it might let you put it on any computer. That being said, you might only be able to install iDVD to play with, I don't think you will be able to burn DVDs without a G4, since I don't think G3s can handle the encoding/burning process.

There are no processor upgrades available for your iBook, by the way, so a new computer is your only option.

3. Ines thread starter macrumors member

thanks .. last thing ... if i bought an external DVD writer would that work ok or should I just wait till I can upgrade to a G4? :)

4. Elan0204 macrumors 65816

Elan0204

There is an easter egg that will allow you to burn to an external firewire DVD burner using iDVD 4. Search the forums to find the download link.

However, I don't know if a G3 can handle burning DVDs. If a G3 would work (and if it did, it would be very slowly), then you can burn DVDs using your current iBook and an external DVD burner. If a G3 just can't handle DVD burning, then your only option is to wait until you can afford a G4 computer. Officially, iDVD4 only supports an internal Apple Superdrive, so if you can get that in your next computer, that would be your best bet. Unofficially, you can use an external DVD burner with your next computer, so if you absolutely can't get a Superdrive, you should still be fine.