idvd5 and external dvd drive

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by belf8st, Feb 20, 2005.

1. belf8st macrumors member

Odd, after upgrading to ilife 05 I can now burn my imovies using idvd to my external firewire dvd writer. the fact that i don't have the apple superdrive is no longer an issue. i didn't see these on any of apple's release notes for ilife 05. did i miss something?

I could previously do this in ilife 04 with the "idvd" hack, but it seems that it is not necessary any more.

2. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Apparently if you don't have a superdrive it will burn to external. According to acclerate your Mac readers reports.

3. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

Kind of late to this thread... but I just picked up an older model PB G4 with no superdrive. Does this mean that having iDVD 5 allows me to write to an external DVD drive without Toast? I'm not familiar with iDVD. Can I use it to make data backups too (non-video content)? Thanks.

4. ozone macrumors 6502

ozone

5. jkandell macrumors member

In the "iDVD missing manual" book they mention that you can now use external in 05.

6. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes you can back stuff up but use Toast for that, if you mean your files, music and apps. As for the iDVD 5 and an exterenal drive, I use it on my eMac and it burns whatever I want as far as video/photos/slideshows are concerned.