IE and Safari Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wdlove, Jan 30, 2004.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I just updated to Panther on Monday. Prior was running 9.2.2. When I first opened up Safari, got an alert message that was unable to import favorites from IE.

Is there a way to import the favorites from OS 9 IE to Safari?

I opened up IE today. Went to IE help, Import favorite pages. Under Window menu I clicked favorites. Then under File menu I clicked Import favorites. Al that worked OK. My problem is where do I find where the favorites are stored in OS 9?

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I can answer both of your questions.

Yes, importing favorites from Mac OS 9 IE to Safari can be done, however, Safari's debug menu must be enabled. To enable it if it isn't on already type into the Terminal "defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1" (without the quotes). After exporting your favorites from IE (IE should give you a save file dialog asking you where you want to save the exported HTML file), choose the import command in the debug menu (sorry, don't know what the command's called). This should bring up an open file dialog, where you can navigate to the location you saved that HTML export file to. After that's all done, you can turn the debug menu off (if you decide you don't want it anymore) by going into the Terminal and typing "defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 0" (without the quotes).

edit: missing closing parenthesis

3. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

You could also install IE 5 for Mac OS X. It will import your Mac OS 9 favorites. Then reinstall Safari and it will automatically import favorites from Explorer.

4. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Or, you could install Safari Enhancer, which performs a number of useful tricks.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

wordmunger/Westside guy:

I was trying to suggest a solution that doesn't require installing additional software. I didn't think wdlove would rather install yet another application to get the job done than use what's already there. Besides, isn't Safari Enhancer shareware?

(This post is #250 for me - that gets me halfway to an avatar!)

6. marknicholls macrumors 6502

hey

i have just got my mac, and have my favorites from my windows PC saved on my backup hdd. i have been looking all over the place.....can someone put me out of my misery!!

I cant find a bookmarks folder in safari to drop my links in, and i cant find a favorites folder in IE to drop them in - i guessed if i could get them in IE i could import them into Safari

Thanks for any help

7. osprey76 macrumors 6502

Just search the backup hdd for "favorites". As for importing them to Safari, I can't look into that here on a PC.

8. marknicholls macrumors 6502

LOL i can find the favorites folder on my backup hdd - i just has no idea where 2 put it on my powerbook! for use with safari

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

wrldwzrd89's solution is the easiest.

See the screen grab below, but it will allow you to easily import bookmarks from any browser simply by locating the HTML file (I would assume this would work with PC as well).

Attached Files:

10. marknicholls macrumors 6502

Where do i need to type:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

to enable this option? i have tried the address bar and it doesnt work, and i dont know what it=s mneant by, tpe it in the terminal

sorry for sounding so dumb!

11. marknicholls macrumors 6502

i have just found an app called termional, i pased the info in, ands nothing happens!

All i get is this

Last login: Tue Aug 17 17:57:41 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    Mark-Nicholls-Computer:~ Mark$ defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
    Mark-Nicholls-Computer:~ Mark$

12. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Quit Safari and then start it again. You will have a "Debug" menu at the top of your screen (next to the Help menu).

BEN

13. marknicholls macrumors 6502

\

Thanks mate - have just noticed that - i have just tried it, but when i open my old IE favorited folder, the import button is fadded out, and wont let me click it. any ideas?

I was going to post a screen dump.....but when i went to press the prnt screen button there wasnt one!!!! how do i print screen on a mac??

LOL

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

First, make sure that you actually highlight the "Favorites.html" file, not just open the folder. As soon as you click on Favorites, it should activate the import button.

As for printing the screen, there are a couple of built-in options on the Mac. The first one, Shift-Command-3, will capture your entire screen. The second one, Shift-Command-4, will bring up a "cross-hair" that will allow you to select an area of the screen to capture by clicking and dragging a box around an area.

Both of these methods will create a Picture x.pdf file on your desktop, where x is a sequential number based on how many screen grabs are currently on your desktop.

To get these into a JPG format for posting here, open the files in Preview and select File > Export... and select JPEG as the export format. If you click on the Options... button you can specify a target compression or size. The size will allow you to make sure it fits into the macrumors limit of 100KB.

15. marknicholls macrumors 6502

hey!

how do i cahnge a folder, with 100s of favorited in lots of seperate folders into a .html file?

Please see attatched screenshot to see what im doing

PS thanks for the screenshot help

Attached Files:

16. marknicholls macrumors 6502

just found the export option on my partners windows PC, All sorted now, thanks guys

Well it has taken 3 days for my to impotrt my favorites and emails accross......just my contacts to go!