IE frustration - help?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, Aug 9, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    Tampa Bay Area, FL, USA
    I have three IE bookmark-y things on my desktop (created by dragging the URL out of the address bar and onto the desktop). The problem is that they for some reason refuse to open their respective URL's in new IE windows. So if I already have one open and click the icon for another, it loads in the same window. I've messed around with my IE preferences (Internet Extras -> When another app asks IE to go to a page -> Open a new browser window) but this doesn't do the trick.

Any ideas? I'm not terrible familiar with IE - it's not my default browser, but these particular sites won't show up properly in anything else. I'm going crazy over this!
  2. MacMaster macrumors 6502

Jul 17, 2002
    Well cleo, the only thing I could figure out would be to open a new IE window(command-N) then open your bookmark. Make sure the new window you opened is in the front when you do this...Just keep opening new IE windows before you open your bookmarks...If you do this it should work fine.
  3. Gus macrumors 65816

Jan 1, 2002

Cleo, I think MacMaster has the only solution. that preference selection only works if you are in , say, Mail, and you click on a link. THEN it will do that trick, but not for the toolbar URLs. I too wish that MS would give that option.

4. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Jan 22, 2002
    do a get info on the shortcuts. I believe it drops the URL in the least it did in OS9. if not, drag it into simpletext or textedit. the URL will be there somewhere
  5. AlphaTech macrumors 601

Oct 4, 2001
    Natick, MA
    You could also use the bookmark from either the toolbar or from the collapsable favorites section (to the left of the window, above the history item). From there, you CAN right click (or ctrl+click) to select the "Open in New Window" option, which sounds like what you want to do.

Once you have the url/bookmarks in position, it will actually be faster to load the url then having them on the desktop.