Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2001
.be
Ever since the security update I did yesterday IE is really acting crazy, not loading requested pages, or taking forever.
And my downloads are down to ISDN speed, I'm used to download at speeds varying between 500KB/sec - 1500 KB/sec!!!
What misery. (it has nothing to do with the 10.1.4 update, because I experienced the same problem yesterday evening just after installation)

Now that the 10.1.4 really fastened my system, the only app that gives me the circle of death arrhh :mad:

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I have to agree with you on some of this. After I downloaded the security upgrade, IE's not been the same. I wish someone had said something sooner so I could have avoided the download. I might have to go and reinstall the old version. Maybe they'll come out with 6 soon.

Geert

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 28, 2001
.be
He Dukestreet,
Thxs for the back-up.
Let's hope they come out with a real cool cocoa based IE that really rocks, then I will withdraw the title of the thread! or start a new thread titled : ooh that sweet IE';)

blackpeter

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2001
Do you have a broadband connection to the net?

In the "Advanced" preference panel under "Web Browser" set your Cache to 0MB. Then under "Update Pages" check "Once per session."

Maybe that'll do something for you?

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by tfaz1
Do you have a broadband connection to the net?

In the "Advanced" preference panel under "Web Browser" set your Cache to 0MB. Then under "Update Pages" check "Once per session."

Maybe that'll do something for you?

yep that does help
everybody with broadband should do that

stromie952

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2002
Rochester, NY
Have you guys tried Mozilla 1.0 and Chimera .23 yet?
I just got those new versions and they have been pretty fast so far.
Definitely faster rendering than IE, at least for me on my iBook 500 64.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by stromie952
Have you guys tried Mozilla 1.0 and Chimera .23 yet?
I just got those new versions and they have been pretty fast so far.
Definitely faster rendering than IE, at least for me on my iBook 500 64.

I would use chimera but it has a long way to go a far browsers go

AmbitiousLemon

Moderator emeritus
Nov 28, 2001
down in Fraggle Rock
chimera has some minor ui work to do but mozilla 1.0 is perfect. i dont need ie. im always surprised when i hear people are using it. beside security updates ms hasnt updated the thing since it came out, and it is the slowest X browser available. there are so many alternatives i dont get why people use the thing. ive used it once per install. it downloads mozilla and then it goes to the trash.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
Originally posted by AmbitiousLemon
chimera has some minor ui work to do but mozilla 1.0 is perfect. i dont need ie. im always surprised when i hear people are using it. beside security updates ms hasnt updated the thing since it came out, and it is the slowest X browser available. there are so many alternatives i dont get why people use the thing. ive used it once per install. it downloads mozilla and then it goes to the trash.

I didn't know it was that good
I'll check it out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.