IE5 classic vs. IE5 OS X. what performs better?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by LucasLand, Mar 29, 2002.

1. LucasLand macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

I'm currently using a 600mhz snow iMac. I current use IE5 for OS X, but when i use IE5 classic it seems to run smoother and quicker! Does anybody else feel the same way? IE5 for OS X just seems a little sluggish. Anyone know of a way to make it run smoother?

foofan

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

IE 5, Mozilla & Netscape 6 are all much faster in Classic than they are in OS X. This is due, I guess, to several things:

- OS X's more computationally-intensive display layer
    - The fact that neither IE 5, Mozilla, nor Netscape 6 are available in Cocoa versions which do not rely on the slow OS 9 compatibility layer (Carbon).
    - Bloat and sloppy programming of OS X software. (If iCab, a Carbonized web browser, can render and scroll pages as fast as an OS 9 web browser, while being 1/2 to 1/8 the byte size of its competition, why can't IE or Mozilla or OmniWeb?)
    - The crappy poorly-optimized OS X compiler.

If you really need speed in an OS X web browser, the only thing I've found to come close to any OS 9 browser is iCab. That's probably not an answer you were looking for, but it's the only one I can think of. :(

Alex

3. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

ie59 vs os x

I will probably try icab. I don't here much about them, which makes me wonder if they are any good?

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I don't use Classic to do anything....just boot straight from my OS 9.2 partition...

but IE does run a hell of a lot more efficient in it than it does in X...

the most obvious difference is how well java runs on 9 than on X...

5. Choppaface macrumors 65816

ya i agree

I'm one to usually have 10 to 20 windows open at once, and its usually faster in 9.x, but I usually have less probs with it in X.

6. Onyxx macrumors regular

umm.

both suck. go with mozilla (or a mozilla clone), or netscape 4.7 (not 6)

7. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

mozilla? opera? what happened to netscape?

I'm not impressed with netscape for OS X. What happened with Netscape? Hardly anyone uses them anymore. At the rate they are going they will not exist in a couple of years. Only thing that will save them is if Aol switches to them in their software.

I'm not familiar with mozilla. Is it for OS X? I don't want to use any programs for os9. That is like going back in the past. If OSX is the best, then these browsers should work great.

Has anyone been using opera?

8. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

yeah, mozilla is for OS X, and it works.. well.

irmongoose

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: umm.

Actually, from a web designer's perspective netscape 4.7 sucks. It has horrible support for W3C standards such as CSS. Netscape 6 does much better, but it's slower and more bloated (6.2.x fixed some crash problems).

So it's up to you: Pages that load fast, but are incorrect; or pages that load slower, but are what the designer meant for you to see.

10. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

I've been using mozilla for about a half hour now. It seems pretty good.

11. Choppaface macrumors 65816

Re: Re: umm.

ya

and I've tried NS and moz on all my macs and on every one they have both been equally crash-happy

the only thing NS is useful for is the javascript degbugger thingy

12. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

You know, I've been noticing something unusual everytime I'm online and using IE5 in OS X. Every now and then my screen flickers. It flickers for a split maybe once every online session. Can anyone tell me why?

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've not encountered this on my TiPB. What system are you running it on?

14. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

It's a brand spankin' new 933Mghz G4 Apollo. I don't think it's a big deal, but it did make me furrow my brow. I've been trying OmniWeb and it's nice but it seems a bit sluggish compared to IE 5.

15. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Try reinstalling the newest version from their website, who knows, a byte might have been misplaced.

16. LucasLand thread starter macrumors 6502a

LucasLand

i just downloaded omniweb to give it a try. Unfortunately when i went to update my homepage at apple itools, a message from apple says" this browser isn't supported". that really sucks! i guess it's back to IE

17. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

just get rid of IE, its a pain in the a$$ and always tries to become the default browser without asking.

download mozilla for compliance, because it has the best scores of ANY browser for W3C compliance.

download OmniWeb for beauty, this is what I use daily. But it has HTML issues sometimes.

IE needs to die now. Its great on PC, but i still refuse to use it.

18. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Browser Wars

Having to design compatible websites, I've always run into the pitfalls associated with IE vs. Netscape. They both need help, but there's not much to do when the majority of surfers are using them. I did a little digging and found an interesting article at websidestory.com, posted below.

The high lights - ranked in order of most used (global browser usage)

IE5 - no number given, but obviously more than 30.5%
    IE6 - 30.5%
    AOL - 13.12 %
    NS - 7%

But the interesting thing is AOL is going to drop IE and go with Netscape, which means AOLScape will be here to stay.

Does anyone have any data on the other browsers? I'd be curious to see a better break down, Mac OS9 vs. Mac OSX vs. PC, etc.

http://www.websidestory.com/cgi-bin/wss.cgi?corporate&news&press_1_173

19. Choppaface macrumors 65816

my breakdown is about 52% IE5, 32% IE6, 5% AOL.... with IE 6 on the rise. used to be about 10% or so a couple months ago. most of my visitors are guys 14-21 with moderate computer experience (well, at least the confidence of a moderately experienced user :D). other notes 40% 1024x768 and 43% 800x600, and overwhelmingly win 98.

I'm really surprised to see IE6 being so popular on those net wide stats since its so new

20. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Here's a link to stats kept on a website at my work:
    http://extremetracking.com/open;sys?login=larcnet

Tracking since July 2001-

IE6 is just under 5%
    IE5 is just over 80%
    Netscape 4 under 12%
    Netscape 6 not even .6%

PC - just over 76%
    Mac - just over 22% (it wouldn't be anywhere near that much if not for the fact that we design on Macs and check our work from them)

Mostly educational visitors...

21. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

those stats are great. Yeah, the article mentioned the IE6 has totally cruised to a huge percentage since it first came out 7 months ago, taking a lot away from NS. I'm going to be really interested on how AOL fares with its transfer to NS, I never liked AOL to begin with.

Thanks.