IE5 in OS 8.6 locks up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Togglehead, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Togglehead macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    Ive been browsing online a lately on my Powerbook G3 Wallstreet, and IE 5 has locked up on me a couple times.....locked as in, wont force quit (unless im doing it wrong) and i must remove battery, then replace battery, then plug into wall, before i can restart. that normal to have to plug it into the wall before restarting?

What might be causing the hang..?
  2. davey-nb macrumors regular

Jun 23, 2003
    NORTH America
    Old age?

Gee, I thought I was late upgrading my PowerPC 7600 to an iMac G5.
    Might be time to upgrade, maybe find something 2 year's old instead of 10!
  3. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    HA HA HA HA......yeah that might be it....just wondrin if anything else could have been the logical culprit....if you havent guess new to apple...=P
  4. highres macrumors 6502a

Jul 1, 2005
    Near the Singularity
    At least upgrade your OS to 9.2.3, IE and Netscape are much more stable, I believe there is also a newer version of IE than you are currently running that works pretty well in 9.2.3.
  5. topgunn macrumors 65816

Nov 5, 2004
    Have you tried FireFox?

Also, the Wallstreet/Lombard/Pismo are, in my opinion, are the pinnacle of Apple design. I love the looks of those things.
  6. cal6n macrumors 68000

Jul 25, 2004
    Gloucester, UK

I'd probably stop at 9.2.2

and I believe IE 5.1.7 is the last pre OS X version
  7. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    thanks guys....yeah i bought the machine with 8.6 on it...and as soon as i get my greedy little hands on a copy of OS9x (which isnt as easy as i suspected) i will install that....any advice?

i believe i have the most updated version for mac,....but the OS matters too, huh.....=]

And topgunn, i agree...i LOVE this thing. Sexy, big screen, smooth keyboard, GREAT trackpad....a little heavy, but what can i expect from '99....=D

even the batt life is awesome-ish...=D
  8. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2003
    The WallStreet is quite possibly the best machine Apple ever made (for its time etc). I only replaced mine with a newer computer this February.

You can run Panther or Tiger on that thing, you know. I have 10.3.8, a Sonnet G4/500 upgrade daughtercard, and 512 MB RAM in mine. (And there aren't too many machines that can boot Tiger and then turn around and boot MacOS 8 from a floppy disk!)

If you're going to stick with MacOS 8.6 or MacOS 9, get Mozilla. (Not Firefox, there is no Firefox for MacOS 8-9, but there is a Mozilla build). It's a lot more compatible with web sites than IE.
  9. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    well interesting.....thats good to know....

i was curious about daughter card upgrades, and that does pique my interest....are there any links you can show me with some compatible upgrades?

Also, ive heard i can run panther and tiger on this, but would it be worth it?
    what would would i absolutely need to do that?

My plan is 512mb or ram....external 80gb HDD (for storage and such)....usb card and wireless card (type II)....

are the graphics upgradable?

What is Sonnet? Brand?

edit: Actually, any links you may have on hardware specs would be great too.....such as, memory controller habits, and how the CPU works and where it sends data....where the ram slots are? is there a north or south bridge? get me?

you guys rock!
  10. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    First, IE locks up under both 8 and 9... I highly doubt that moving from 8.6 to 9.x.x is going to help matters. The biggest culprit of IE lock up is newer web sites. And the only way around it is to not go to them (not really an option, I know).

I only use IE for browsing on disk help files and the like, otherwise I would suggest one of the following...And if you plan on using any of these, you need to increase the memory for them. Today's web pages are far more intense than those of yesteryear and browsers need more space for rendering them.

Infact, you may find that your IE issues are solved by increasing the memory to something over 30 MB (as I recall, the default is about 10-15 MB).

Most of the advances in Mac OS 9 were actually designed to increase Classic compatibility. Mac OS 9 as a stand alone OS actually suffered (stability wise) in the move from 9.1 to 9.2.x (though 9.1 was a tremendous improvement over 9.0.4 and earlier).

Best of luck.
  11. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Try iCab. I think it's even still updated, even for the older OS versions!
  12. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    I've been using my Wallstreet as my primary system for years. I upgraded from the original G3/266 (1 MB of L2) to a Sonnet G4/500 (1 MB of L2) back at the beginning of 2003. Sonnet also offers an Aria Extreme card that is 802.11g compatible (though I don't have one). I do have a USB 2.0 card for my system.

On the subject of memory, Wallstreets are very picky about what you put in them. Just because you find an SO-DIMM that fits in the slots doesn't mean that all (or any) of that memory is going to be seen. Before you put your money down on memory, make sure it is compatible with Wallstreet PowerBooks.

I'm sure you've heard about it by now, but just in case... there is an 8 GB limit on the boot volume in Wallstreet PowerBooks for Mac OS X. I have a 40 GB main drive which has two partitions at 8 GB and 32 GB. I have a 20 GB secondary drive in my expansion bay (my battery died years ago) from a PowerBook G4. And I replaced the CD-ROM drive with a CDRW drive (not sure where to find those any more).

As for graphics upgrades... ahunter3 can give you more information on that (as I haven't made any changes on my system).
  13. ahunter3 macrumors 6502

Oct 15, 2003
    iCab is indeed still updated. They've only very recently dropped 68K development! Unfortunately, iCab is notoriously rife with compatibility issues. (Makes hash of a lot of modern CSS).

Here is the Sonnet G4/500 daughtercard for the WallStreet. Panther is faster on a WallStreet than Jaguar, and is very nimble and responsive with this card. (As long as you stuff it with RAM). I never got around to putting Tiger on mine so I don't know how well Tiger performs on a WS. To install Panther you need to use XPostFacto, and you need to install Panther before installing the G4/500 daughtercard (or you need to swap back to the stock processor for the duration of the install, at any rate): something about the accelerator screws up your ability to boot OS X from CD, which the installation procedure requires.

As Racer X says, you need to partition the HD (unless it's actually 8 gigs or less). The OS X has to go in the first 8 gigs, not just a partition of 8 gigs or less. You can put all your applications (except the Apple-branded ones that come with the OS) on a different partition, they don't need to be in /Applications.

If you're thinking of going with a new hard drive, consider the Toshiba 7200 RPM 60-gig, or the newer 100-gig. Those things are fast. I think I got almost as much performance boost from running a pair of those (the second one in the expansion slot as Racer X describes) as from the G4 card!

The RAM slots: there are two SO-DIMM slots, both of them on the processor daughtercard, one on top and one on the bottom. To swap the one on the bottom you need to pull the daughtercard out of its socket. I got my RAM from Data Memory Systems: a 256 module for the top and another for the bottom (the one on the bottom has to be "low-profile" and they are a bit more expensive).

Graphics: Can't replace the stock video, nor can you add any video card that performs any better as far as I know, but you can acquire a CardBus card (PC Card) that will let you run a second monitor as an extended desktop. There are two vendors that I know of: Margi Systems makes a card called the Display-to-Go, which I did not buy and don't know much about (EDIT: looks like it's discontinued); and the higher-end VillageTronic VTBookDD card, which I did buy and have been very happy with. (I use it now on my G4 17" PB to drive a third screen).
  14. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    wow guys....this is great information thatnks hunter and racer (and everyone else)

I was looking into the daughter cards a bit and that Sonnet with WiFi really strikes a good chord. Panther it is have the experience...i'll believe you...just gotta get OS9

I did plan on jamming it with ram, first step really, and i noticed around that the wallstreet is really picky about ram....i was just going to buy two low profiles to save the frustration, but if you say you ony need one....then sweet......

As for the HDD, this is something i think would be my LAST upgrade......i have a 3.5" IDE HDD that i might just put in an external enclosure for the time being for extra room , but luckily, i have an 8GB drive in there now....;)

USB firewire card, and wireless ethernet (for before i get the daughter board upgrade) is more of a pain...i found the USB card....

anyway to maybe paint the apple cleanly?

...thinking about it now....does spending al this money really make sense? its getting pricey, and maybe i can just find a good deal on a newer Dont get me wrong, i LOVE tweaking what i got....and i WILL.....but, you get me?
  15. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    In my case, these were all changes made over a period of years... rather than all at once.

As I recall, I paid about $450 for my Wallstreet in late 2001 (G3/266, 192 MB of RAM, 4 GB hard drive) and was running Mac OS X Server 1.2 (aka Rhapsody 5.6) on it at the time, which cost me $35. I upgraded the hard drive to an 8 GB drive for $25, I upgraded the RAM to 512 for $130 in early 2002. I switch from Mac OS X Server 1.2 to Mac OS X 10.2 in August 2002, which ran me $129. I upgraded the processor to a G4/500 at the beginning of 2003 for about $400. And I added the CDRW and expansion drive bay kit (using the original 4 GB drive) by the beginning of 2004 for another $225.

The 20 GB drive was a trade for service work I did on a PowerBook G4 (replacing the hard drive) and the 40 GB drive was a gift from a client... as was the USB 2.0 card.

So that is $1,394 that I've put into this system... but that was over a 5 year period. At no point during that time did I ever have that much money just sitting around ready to spend on a computer. All my systems have had to... well, feed themselves as it wor. My systems must start generating funds to pay for upgrades.

Case in point... by new Beige G3 Mini Tower.

I was given two Beige G3 Mini Towers (and one 21" display) by two different clients. I took the best parts of both and put them into a single system. What I ended up with was a Beige G3/266 with an ATI Radeon 7000 (32 MB of VRAM), an ATA/66 PCI card, a USB PCI card, 448 MB of RAM and an 80 GB hard drive. What I was able to get from selling or trading the remaining parts was a DVD drive (now in the bay below the original CD-ROM drive) and a G4/533 processor upgrade.

In a week or two I'll most likely be adding a SCSI CDR drive in the last bay below the DVD drive. Other than time, I've put no funds into this Beige G3 at all.

Would I, starting from scratch, put together a Wallstreet like mine? Most likely not. Specially if I was trying to do all the upgrades at once.

On the other hand, if the display or logic board on this Wallstreet goes... I'll absolutely buy a replacement Wallstreet! With the collection of parts and pieces I currently have it would be a waste of my investment to not get a replacement (which shouldn't cost all that much these days).

Also, I have thought about replacing this system with an iBook/800 or early PowerBook G4... but the way the track button is set up on those (and later systems) really bugs me compared to the setup on the PowerBook G3s.
  16. Togglehead thread starter macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    thats a really good point...i really do love this system, and the trackpad IS phenominal....youve convinced me!!

I really hear how im not alone in my love for this thing....a lot of mac users seem to love it.....and i have the 300MHz even sweeter....!!!!!

thanks again racer X, i will keep you posted on my project.....

i'l hopefully be ordering the RAM this week....after all i am 24, i live on my own, i drive a sports car, and i have a girlfriend, so we all know where MY money is going :rolleyes:

thanks again for everything. thinking my Performa 200 should be a Maquarium... ;D