IE6 for OSX

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Chaszmyr, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Does anyone know if Microsoft will ever release IE6 for MacOSX? If so... WHEN?!

2. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

i dunno if they'll ever release it, if they do, it would probably be sometime in the next year, probably it wouldnt have that many new features (just like ie6 for windows), but maybe a new ui, and more security settings....

3. pantagruel macrumors regular

I doubt it, or at least not anytime soon. I can't even remember when the last update for IE came out for the mac???? I doubt it is theyre first priority, plus with all the other mac-only browsers lacking a bit in all categories it's microsofts way of saying "hah, I thought you mac lovers didnt need us for anything...."

4. gandalf55 macrumors 6502

but that puppy down and dive into Mozilla. it might not be as compliant as IE (yet) but for me its a much better experience (except for the launch time.)

5. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

amen. i still don't understand why people are using IE. chimera is only at .5 and still better than IE. it seems that many people fail to understand that the only way web-designers will start coding for standards is if people use a standards compliant browser. microsoft does not really care about making the latest, greatest browser for osx. think about it: why would they make software that ran as well if not better on a competing os?

that being said, there are rumors that ms is looking into building a cocoa IE, but that it will not show its face for a few years.

6. madamimadam macrumors 65816

madamimadam

IE got a huge make over during the movement of OS X and the most recent change was just after X.2 came out with version 5.2.2.

I think M$ has been concentrating on X support recently more than anything else. Maybe they are making a Cocoa version??? We can only hope... more Cocoa = good no matter what it is.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I don't want to change the topic of this thread, but I would much rather MS neglect its mac users and force apple into making a browser for us. I would love an apple browser.

8. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I think if Apple is trying to switch people is is very important to have a few key Microsoft titles running on their computer. Who knows if an Apple browser would work better then Internet Explorer? I am not wild about IE, but after trying everything I came back to IE, why? Because it just works and works right no matter what web-page you are trying to load. It always renders things the way they are supposed to be and is fully supported, I HATE messing with loading this type of plug in and that type of plug in.

I don't have much love for MS, but I find their Office and Explorer products decent software. A lot of people who use a computer wants a full-featured browser and are not the type to download some new beta of something else everyweek.

Apple would be dumb to ditch MS right now at least IMHO.

9. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Try chimera again. I don't know when the last time you tried it was, but it is sooooooooooo much better than IE.

10. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

jump to chimera now, comon, everyone jump, jump, IE is so old and slow

11. Chaszmyr thread starter macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

i do use Chimera, it doesnt have full compatibility with all pages... but neither does IE5... Thats why i want IE6

12. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

hey, IE 6 could be a cocoa version. although that probably wouldn't be for awhile.

anyway, i'm going to start using Chimera more now...:)

13. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

You oughta remember that Mozilla is EXTREMELY compliant, so much so that it wil break erroneously coded pages.

IE is very forgiving, meaning you can write crappy code, and it will work. This is typically M$.

Don't blame the browser, blame the crappy coders.

14. Inhale420 macrumors regular

more compliant than what? the reason sites look good in ie is because people code to make them look good in ie. mozilla's whole philosophy is to make a standards-compliant browser and if you built your sites that way you should be fine.

i agree it's all about the crappy coders and software that automatically spits out non-compliant code by default like adobe imageready.

15. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

IE...

Mozilla... What is so great about it? I have seen nothing in it to convince me to switch form IE. I use OmniWeb at times and like it fairly well. All browsers are basically the same, have the same basic experience. You have a forward button, a back utton, reload, and stop. Chimera is faster, but it is still in development. Stable plugin support is still needed. IE is the standard. That may not be something we like, but we have to live with it. Mozilla is a more bloated beast than even IE.

Another thing is tabbed browsing. Some of you'll seem really attached to this feature. I don't use it, but it should be included since so many people like it.

16. Biggles macrumors member

Mozilla/Chimera are better for two reasons:

1.tabbed browsing - OK, at first I found no need for this. Now i'd hate to use a browser without it.

2. able to block pop-up ads - self explanitory

17. TheJ macrumors newbie

With the way OS X manages windows, a browser without tabbed browsing is a broken browser.

Chimera is awesome, especially if you keep up with the nightly builds...

18. iFresh macrumors newbie

Pop- Up Blocker in Chimera?

How do you block pop-up ads with Chimera?

Chimera crashes all the time, but it is FAST and simple.

19. TheJ macrumors newbie

Go into Preferences, then click "Web Features" and check the box next to "Enable popup blocking".

I don't know if this is in the regular .5 build, go here for last night's build. Maybe that will help with your stability issues as well. :D

20. iFresh macrumors newbie

Thanks!!

Thanks TheJ!

I was using the regular 0.5 build. You have infinitely improved my web browsing experience!

Down with the Pop-Ups!

21. TheJ macrumors newbie

iFresh, my pleasure! One thing I would recommend w/ Chimera is to learn all the keyboard shortcuts, this enhanced my enjoyment of the browser a lot...

For example, command +T=new tab, command+w=close current tab, etc...