IE6 on Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RobbieL, Jan 24, 2007.

1. RobbieL macrumors member

I know, it's an awful question to ask, but it is necessary. For Uni purposes, I need IE6. Is there anyway of getting it on the Mac?

2. RobbieL thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm. Looks interesting. Was really wishing that the Windows Firefox IE extension was also Mac OS, but no luck.

Will have a look into Codeweavers. Cheers.

3. wake6830 macrumors regular

Running XP or Firefox with the IE6 extension in Parallels would work too...

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Firefox ie tab is windows only...

I suggested codeweavers as it is both easier and cheaper than parallels for one single app...

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

no, crossover's IE will not support SSL or activex, with that, u can neither login to anywhere that require SSL, nor view any specific webpage that ask for activex to display properly.

If ur Uni's page is IE only, it probably need activex, for that, crossover won't do it.

Go get bootcamp. or parallel.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can find the last version of IE for Mac here:
    http://browsers.evolt.org/

Version 5.x was the last one but it should work for whatever site is requiring it (I think). Good luck.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Umm, no.
    If the site requires IE6 it requires IE6. As mentioned above, the requirement is usually for ActiveX which no way works on any Mac OS.

8. RobbieL thread starter macrumors member

Cheers for the advice folks.

I tried IE 5 for Macs but the damn thing barely started, and when it did, it seem to crash. It gave me some awful flashbacks ...

I'll give Bootcamp ago. I need to install Windows anyway for Uni work, just hadn't got around to it and thought there may have been an easier way to get IE on the go.

9. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Umm, so what do you suggest o wise one.

10. vansouza macrumors 68000

vansouza

Its been said...

CodeWeavers CrossOver product or Parallels will do the job... I am in the same boat. Crossover tends to abort a important times.. so I use Parallels. The version of IE that actually runs on the Mac, often will not run well enough and I think it will not run on the C2D Macs... but not certain about that... good luck..

11. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

They stoped makeing IE for mac. i think thats bicuase no one needs it.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Are you sure it needs Active X and isn't just a retarded site?

Download Camino, and CamiTools, and change the user agent to IE 6 windows xp, (Camino Menu==>Preferences==>Cami Tools)

Then try the site and see what happens.

You can also do this in Opera (but I'm not sure how), or by enabling the Debug menu in Safari though the Camino thing works better in my experience.

13. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

IE for Mac isn't the same as IE for windows though so it's not useful, it also always sucked on OS X.

14. Blubbert macrumors 6502

In the newest version of Opera just right click on the page and select Edit Site Preferences. In the window that opens click on the Network tab, and select either Indentify as IE or Mask as IE.

15. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

lol, every browser has some spoof UA function, pretend to be IE, but if activex is needed, all pretending would result in nothing.

16. Jaimesharp macrumors newbie

Use IE 7

download IE 7 as it is alot more standrads complient than v6 so this under windows is the best solution for your problem

17. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

18. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

wow, interesting, i will try out again later see how it works. thanks for the new info

19. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

That truely will be gr8 if it worked!
    Please, keep us posted! :)

20. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ok, did it
    my conclusion is it does support SSL, but not activeX. i can log in to basic version of yahoo mail, but it failed to render gmail.

21. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Have not tried too many sites. I use GMAIL but only using Safari or Firefox on the MAC or IE on my PC. I have tried a few other sites that are govt sites I have to use and they are fine using Crossover and IE6. But like others have said Active X is not supported at this point. If you need Active X then Parallels or Bootcamp or mayby VMware might be a better choice. For me I cannot justify 150 to 200 for another copy of XP plus the cost of either of the other choices.

Bill....