'IED's Found on American Roads!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mactastic, Jun 6, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yep, it's true. Millions of them.

No, the guy who just rode up your tail, passed you on the right, then cut you off and gave you the finger isn't just an a$$****. He's got Intermittent Explosive Disorder.

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I think I heard a little bit about this on the news last night.

But from your link, the mention of cognitice science, doesn't that imply that while there may be underlying biological tendencies, it is behavioral and w/ proper therapy and desire to, a person could ineffect, work to alter their behavior?

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I dunno... I'm guessing the next thing that happens is that these asshats claim they're disabled under the ADA and deserve some kind of special treatment when they go off.

Sure it's probably treatable. But I would imagine you are aware of the stigma of seeking mental health treatment in this country. These types of people are the least likely to seek out that kind of help.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Geeze, to quote Chris Rock "whatever happened to 'CRAZY'?" Seems like there's a "disorder" for everything now - here we'd call someone like that "mad as a cut snake."

I think it's more informative than Intermittent Explosive Disorder. What? You mean people sometimes snap? That has to be a condition, not just a normal human response. At least there some levels to madness here:

Mad as a hatter = not dangerous, just a bit loopy.
    Mad as a meat axe = dangerous, but only if the axe is pointing at you.
    Mad as a cut snake = dangerous and unpredictable, you never know who's gonna get bitten.

Stop trying to classify things, it only gives people more excuses to sue and more suing = less people able to have fun.

/ incoherent babbling rant

2:02am.

5. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Snort. Seek out help?! I think they're the least likely to admit to having a problem in the first place. It's probably more likely that they keep on blaming "other drivers." But it's ironic isn't it? That while not wanting to admit to having a problem, they'd attempt to reap benefits in some way (like you mentioned, "special treatment" of sorts)? :rolleyes:

:edit: Chundles, I love love love your examples of varying degrees of madness. :D

6. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Next thing you know, I'm gonna be having to provide access to all public spaces for enraged people. Extra hardened door hardware, punch and kick-proof wall paneling will have to be specified. Bathroom fixtures will have to be installed more securely - you never know when an enraged person might feel the need to rip one off the wall...

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, people are going to be suing house-building companies for damages for not building internal walls strong enough to withstand a rapidly moving forehead whilst suffering an "IED episode."

"Your Honour, I will attempt to show the court that my client would have not suffered the lacerations he did during his episode of IED when he admittedly thrust his forehead into the wall in anger but would instead have only suffered contusions and more minor injuries. Your Honour, companies need to ensure their products are built to cope with sufferers of IED during their involuntary acts of pure rage"

"Counsel, I have deliberated all I need and have come to a verdict. F*** off you whinging mongrel."

8. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Just what we need, another vehicle that allows people to shirk responsibility for themselves. I'm sick of the "it can't be my fault, I have XYZ disorder" crowd.

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Give it a medical name, and 6 months later these people will be on a pill from their insurance company to combat it.

Score another one for the drug companies.

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

That pretty much describes the pitIED state we're in.

11. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    what was it Bill Maher said recently?

Social Anxiety Disorder....used to be it was just called shyness.

something along those lines anyway.

i think it's pathetic. no one can take responsibility for anything these days, very sad. :(

12. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

That's the best verdict ever! :D

13. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Right up there with
    :D

14. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I seriously read that article just shaking my head the whole time. As good as meds are for some people who really do have legitimate disorders (depression, shizophrenia, all out craziness), we are too medicated for our own good and too disaffected to take responsibilities for our own problems. BAH! Makes me wanna punch in a wall... :D

Frankly, I like Chundles' categories. :)

15. cait-sith macrumors regular

What? Social anxiety disorder is a real problem, ask anyone that suffers from it. It's not just a bit of shyness. The comment made by Bill Maher is ignorant, and although I would never wish an illness on another person, it'd be interesting to see his take on the problem after suffering for it for a few days.

The lack of compassion in the world for the suffering of other people is what's pathetic nowadays.

16. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Yes, that's SAD...shyness. Obviously, there is a disorder for everything that isn't in order.

I consider that I would like to throw something at some driver who isn't thinking and almost causes an accident but it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. Besides, isn't there a saying "don't get mad, get even." :D

Silly people, be responsible for who you are, even if you're not up to your own standards. I don't want to be, but I must be.

17. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I think a big reason is the FDA will not approve a drug unless it is designed to combat a disease (disorder, syndrome, etc). Therefore, the pharmaceutical companies "create" these diseases in order to produce the drug to combat it and get FDA approval. Restless Leg Syndrome? Isn't that just the jimmy-legs?

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I agree. There's no such thing as Intermittent Explosive Disorder. There's no "biology or cognitive science" behind this. The reason people who have road rage exhibit the same "mad" symptoms, or why their brains are releasing the same chemical/hormones/gibbity-doo when they suffer a fit of road rage is because they're feeling the same damn emotion ---- rage! That is all. They can label that if they want, but we already have the label "road rage," which is good enough.

It's not that 16 million people have a "disorder." Heck, when such a large percent of the driving population (16 million people?) in the US have this problem, it's not a disorder anymore. I believe it's called "normal."

People who feel happy all the time are probably showing the same symptoms, or releasing the same neural patterns as well. Is that surprising that their brains are going through the same thing if they're feeling the same way?

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

HAHAHA......"chicken**** mutha****a." That sort of statement surely deserves a good laugh and a big sigh at the end. :p

20. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Whatever happened to just learning to control your emotions and ourselves?? Have we forgotten how to do that?

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I do that. I don't have IED. I have a problem with *******s who go 10 mph under the speed limit in the fast lane and refuse to move.

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

Ah, a new disorder - IMD. Intermittent Moron Disorder - characterized by occasional to frequent loss of common sense. So don't be too hard on them - it's not their fault they're idiots, it's biology.

23. jdechko macrumors 68040

That's exactly what I'm thinking. What happened to personal responsibility. I'm sure that there are some legitimate reasons for acting a certain way (IE: Turrett's syndrome), but it seems like we're making up "diseases" as an excuse for every possible behavior.

24. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

hey, i just said "something along those lines anyway". i can't remember exactly what terms were used, that's all.

25. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

I'm not really angry that you cut me off. I'm just having an episode.:rolleyes: